sony mpk f340 maintenace

maintenance routine?

• store it closed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • place seals in a ziplock and grease

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdowndiverup

Registered
Reaction score
undefined

Hello,
Recently made an impulse buy. Bought a used housing cheap it works fine. Took it to Palau (awesome!).
I don't have a manual for the housing and can't find info 'cause the mpk f-340 (a.k.a The brick) is as old as dirt.
three questions: If I remove the screws from the front window, apply some silicone grease to the seal. Do I have to torque the screws when I re-assemble? (It is not leaking YET).
2) Where should I shop for replacement o-rings?
3) Can I rinse off the saltwater in a chlorinated pool?

Thanks

Manuals for other housings suggest light lubrication for O-rings. 15 minute rinse after salt water dive. O-rings maybe available from stores specializing in gaskets. If the gasket looks ok then I shouldn't be concerned about removing the window and applying a little silicone grease.(right?)

I have unscrewed and removed everything that has a screw on my housing including the front window (have done this several times). It should be fine, just make sure you take it apart carefully and know how to put it back properly. BTW I don't think this would be recommended by any manual and probably voids warranty etc. Do it at your own risk I guess.

diverdowndiverup:
undefined

2) Where should I shop for replacement o-rings?

Thanks

allorings.com - although they'll try to sell you a bunch of them. It's best to find out from them who your local distributor is - mine sells me different sized o-rings 2 at a time for .66 ea. Generally any industrial supply company sells o-rings for hydraulic machinery, they'll work. They're usually made out of a material called Buna-N, if you can get them in Viton, they'll hold up better, Viton is more impervious to saltwater. And although it seems like a good idea, don't get the neoprene or silicone ones, they tear easier.

The biggest problem you'll have is figuring out what the i.d./o.d. and thickness +/- tolerance of the original is. Especially if it's been compressed for a long time.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom