Inflator stuck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sessions

Contributor
Reaction score
I read the post regarding the stuck inflator hose...It's not generally part of the requirements....but should be. Last year, i was at 85 feet, and filled a little to slow my decent and before I could blink I was heading up!. I will tell you it all happens in seconds. I will admit, I didnt get the hose disconnected, but I immediatly reached down to the back and used my dump to stop my ascent. While I continued to dump, I kept playing with my inflator button and it stoppped. I made the surface with 500 lbs. I would strongly suggest practicing your "emergency"...before it actually happens! :11:

This happened to me this weekend. First I though my O-ring blew out. Then I realised I was taking the highspeed elevator to sea-level. Tried to dumb with both rear dumb-valves, didn't even slow down. I guess I did breathe on the way up, since I wouldn't be here any other way. First time I heard my BC over pressure release valves in action. I turned off my tank and removed the inflator hose for a quick service. Next time, I will hopefully realise in time what is happening and undo that LP hose.

I've read a few accident reports where they say something like "for some reason the diver inflated his BC and shot to the surface, suffering an embolism". I wouldn't be surprised if some of the causes of those were stuck inflator valves that the diver just couldn't react to in time. Just a guess, though.

divebuddysean:
How deep were you Roy? Good thing you were down at 120 feet!!

Sean

I just started the dive, so I was only at 17ft according to the Suunto. It happened on the first push of the inflator button........I inflated the BC manually before the dive. Won't do this again. I think it's good to at least give it one test squirt.

Back
Top Bottom