Navigating to Deadman's Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubacalifornia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I would like to hear how YOU navigate to Deadman's Reef in Laguna. I've just recently started exercising my navigation skills (or lack thereof), and I'm two for two in not finding it. The first time my buddy & I winged it using the highly scientific method of recollection from past group dives. Yesterday we tried again and followed specific directions from a fellow diver who I'm certain is a good navigator, but we probably didn't execute them quite so accurately and wound up too far west. On the way up the stairs at Crescent yesterday morning, another diver shared his own way of finding Deadman's.

So how do YOU find Deadman's? Thanks for sharing. Hopefully third time's a charm on this next attempt. I've seen enough sand to last me awhile.

Kevin

If you look at the picture on the link James posted, you will see two palm trees on top of the hill. On that hill are 3 concrete fenceposts. As you swim out from the beach and head out past the main reef, Seal Rock will be on your left. If you look at the cliff on the other side of Seal Rock towards Emerald Bay, you will see a gazebo on the cliff. A few houses back towards Crescent, you will see a flag pole. Line the center concrete fencepost between the two trees and the flagpole just left of center of the larger (right) Rock of Seal Rock, you should be right on top of and on the east side of Deadmans. This is the method I use and it worked last Sunday.

But be careful, we've seen some motorboats pass right over Deadman's, going like a bat out of hell, so you might want to drop down a little earlier and navigate out.

By the way, who you callin' "James" ??? :11:

mccabejc:
But be careful, we've seen some motorboats pass right over Deadman's, going like a bat out of hell, so you might want to drop down a little earlier and navigate out.

By the way, who you callin' "James" ??? :11:
You, Jim/James. Boats are a problem out there, we usually shoot a bag if we surface out there, but have never had a problem on the swims out. How many times have you been out there?

Only been there a couple of times, so maybe I'm being over-cautious. I guess I just don't trust boaters going real fast to see a bobbing head in the the water ahead of them. I know my head looks a lot like floating kelp. They even call me "kelp head".

And the last time I was called "James", I was in trouble with my mom. When I hear it I flinch. Keep expecting to have it followed by "Wait until your father comes home !!" :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom