Big Island, Oahu, and Kauai in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am going to Hawaii after Xmas for a wedding and I plan to stay one week. I really want to see lots of fish and other wildlife, particularly mantas and turtles. It seems like the best turtle "cleaning stations" are not do-able in winter surf; any suggestions? Also, any thoughts on whether the manta night dives are worthwhile? I am fairly new to diving and I do get seasick so maybe conservative suggestions would work best.

Thanks!

There is a lot to do on the big isle. Winter diving is no big deal here, it is hawaii after all. Mantas have been kinda scarce for a few weeks from what Ive heard, but maybe they willl be back while your here. Look in "West Hawaii Today" newspaper for vacation rentals....There are lots of operators that do snorkle/sucba mixes so that shouldn't be a big deal. I can give you some great combo shore dive spots also if you like. Aloha and enjoy your stay.

this isnt dive related but,,,if you are near kona on the big island, be sure to treat yourselves to Capt. Beans dinner cruise!, great food and the entertainment is superb.

btw, if you do, ( dont tell your husband ) tell the ladies when you board the ship to " get him " and have your camera ready!

Hotel, condo, house, anything. I'd like to have a kitchenette but it's not a necessity.

Thanks for the replies, keep em coming!

A nice affordable hotel that some of our guests stay at is the Sand Villa. It's about 3 blocks from the beach and directly on the Ala Wai and a grocery store is near by too.

We have been to the Big Island three times (July, August, and March) and Kauai once (March). Comparing the two in March, the water and weather were warmer and sunnier on the BI, which is also the only place for the wonderful manta ray night dive...and the active volcano. =)

A great snorkle spot on the BI is Kealakekua Bay, especially out at the Captain Cook monument. And we were lucky enough to encounter a pod of wild dolphins while snorkeling just south of there, in Ho'okena Bay. Turtles are everywhere while snorkeling on the Big Island.

For condos to rent, I recommend checking out www.vrbo.com and www.cyberrentals.com. You'll find many options for both islands at very reasonable prices (generally $50-100 a night) -- we have booked through these sites several times and have not had a bad experience.

Have a good trip!

We went to Kauai and Maui in March a few years ago. There were turtles everyhwere.
We dove and spent a week on each island. I enjoyed Kauai the most and will go back. Sea Sport is a dive shop on Kauai that took us to the Shetaton caverns, This was not cave diving but we did go through some large tubes where we had turtles swimming. The DM showed us lots if wildlife. It was from this dive that I got my Favorite picture of myself from all time You can see my eyes and snorkel. The rest of the photo is full of octopus.

There is also a really nice little out of the way golf corse on the southwest?? part of the Island.

The only bad thing is that there are wild chickens on the island. Our local rooster started at 430 every morning. I do not know the name of our condo but it was about 2miles west of Poi Poo beach and the same east of the Blowhole. We were just across the street from the a beach that was loaded with fish.

I wish I could tell you more. When I talk to my wife and the people we went with I will ask them the name.

Good luck and enjoy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom