Quick questions on Suunto (Gekko)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jon O

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I used my computer for the first time this weekend and have a few questions.
1. What is the "AC" symbol I get? Something to do with floating on the surface?
2. I understood that when diving nitrox, a couple of hours after the dive the mix in the DC goes back tto 21% to avoid leaving any other as default. This was not the case with mine.
3. Is surface time the time between thhe last dive and current? I assume it is but as Spanish manual isn't always as clear as you would like I feel safer asking around.

Thanks a million

assuming these things are similar to my Vyper:
1) AC means it thinks the contacts need cleaning. (One of our Vypers tends to say this no matter how much I clean the contacts.)
2) Not a few hours, but when it clears completely. So if you are doing lots of diving over a week and your computer never clears the percentage should not change. The few hours may come from this - if you change the % but didn't dive yet it should stick for 2 hours.
3) yes, surface time is since the last dive (not sure what else it would be?)

Damselfish:
1) AC means it thinks the contacts need cleaning. (One of our Vypers tends to say this no matter how much I clean the contacts.)

Thanks, funny because it is the first time I use it!

Jon O:
Hi,

I used my computer for the first time this weekend and have a few questions.
1. What is the "AC" symbol I get? Something to do with floating on the surface?
2. I understood that when diving nitrox, a couple of hours after the dive the mix in the DC goes back tto 21% to avoid leaving any other as default. This was not the case with mine.
3. Is surface time the time between thhe last dive and current? I assume it is but as Spanish manual isn't always as clear as you would like I feel safer asking around.

Thanks a million

Hi!

1. "AC" means Active Contact. The computer is automactically activated when it becomes wet.

2. I don't dive nitrox, but I believe that the mix does not go back to 21% until after the dive profile, which would be 24 hours. If you set the mix to some other number before a dive and then do not dive, it will auto reset within a few hours.

3. Once you have ascended to, I think it is 3-4 feet, your computer will begin to time your surface interval. This is the elapsed time between surfacing from a dive to decending on your next dive.

Hope this helps.

Ann Marie:
Hi!

1. "AC" means Active Contact. The computer is automactically activated when it becomes wet.

That's correct, you'll get the AC display anytime the contacts are wet, including if you put it on your wrist with a wet wetsuit on

interesting, I have both the Vyper and Gekko manuals. The thing about the contacts possibly needing cleaning is mentioned in the Vyper manual but not the Gekko. That bit would would only apply if the AC indicator is staying on when the contacts shouldn't be active (like when the thing is dry and it's still showing AC.)

My wife and I have the Vyper. I don't know if it is the same as the Gekko, but I think it is. You can PM directly if you need any help, and I could give you me phone number. You can call and we could walk you through all of the features. Providing yours is similar to the Vyper.

Damselfish:
2) Not a few hours, but when it clears completely. So if you are doing lots of diving over a week and your computer never clears the percentage should not change. The few hours may come from this - if you change the % but didn't dive yet it should stick for 2 hours.
3) yes, surface time is since the last dive (not sure what else it would be?)

People, this scares me, read the manual please. Those contacts must be super clean by now, since you must clean them every time the computer gets wet........

ShakaZulu:
People, this scares me, read the manual please. Those contacts must be super clean by now, since you must clean them every time the computer gets wet........
You would think - but the manual actually mentions the possibility of quote "contamination or invisible marine growth" on contacts or buttons turning the AC indicator on. Of course that wouldn't apply to a new one - and I have a hard time imagining marine growth furiously occuring faster than a daily or more freshwater rinse would take care of, but that's what it says.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom