Vis - Croatia, again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MonkSeal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I had to pick up wife and kids this weekend (I left them on the island last weekend) and took the oportunity to make few dives.

Image by MonkSeal (Copyright) posted at ScubaGallery

Nice, very good color indeed..........

Nice! Love the colors

Howdy, I'm really curious about diving opportunities in Croatia. What diving facilities
exist. Are there many divers? Where do they come from? How are the costs? Does the local population welcome divers? Are there attractions other than diving? Can you get along with just speaking English?

Big Sky Dave:
Howdy, I'm really curious about diving opportunities in Croatia. What diving facilities
exist. Are there many divers? Where do they come from? How are the costs? Does the local population welcome divers? Are there attractions other than diving? Can you get along with just speaking English?

There are many diving centers along the coast and on the islands. Almost every town (and even bigger vilage) has diving center but they are opened mostly during June, July, August and September which is high season (sea temperature between 23 and 26 C). Better centers are opened all year. It's best to contact center before your trip to find out details about price, renting the equipment, special packages (including food & accomodation), etc. You can dive air & nitrox and some centers offer trimix diving (also check before trip). Average price per dive ranges from 20 to 35 Euros depending if you dive from shore or boat (mainly) what mix you use, if you take package, etc.

People are friendly and divers are wellcomed because they are known as environment friendly.

Most divers come from Italy, Poland, Czech Republic, Germany, UK, France, Hungary. I met few people from Canada, Australia. English is OK.

Big Sky Dave:

That's my 2 cents (of Euro):
I'd recommend, from North to South, the island of Cres (Cherso), the Kornati (incoronate) islands, Korcula (Curzola) and Vis (Lissa).
You have to pay a annual diving card which costs 100 kuna
(approx 13 euros). Diving centers are growing in quality according to my experience. Years ago "diving boats" where actually fishing boats, with no facility for divers. Things are changing now.
Lots of divers from Italy, Slovenia, Germany, Eastern Europe in general.
Water temperature is not the warm .... 25°C on the surface, but in the Northern Adriatic it's 12-14°C below 20m all year long.
Dives are generally deep. Best dives are usually 30-60m.
Lots of wrecks, which tend to lie at the bottom of the sea, and that's why you go deep ...
English is not a problem in diving centres.
Dalmatia (the coast from Rijeka to Dubrovnik) is really wonderful and not expensive.
Best period to go: July and August.
Don't stay in a hotel but look for a private room.

ciao
robcap
a.k.a. Señor Granzo
a.k.a. Sku-ba-man

robcap:
Lots of divers from Italy, Slovenia, Germany, Eastern Europe in general.

Water temperature is not the warm .... 25°C on the surface, but in the Northern Adriatic it's 12-14°C below 20m all year long.

I apologize for omitting divers from Slovenia, they also come in large number.

I have to correct you about water temperature: it's around 17-18°C acros all Adriatic below 20m (thermocline) during summer and autumn but it's colder during winter and spring. Sometimes during autumn, after the south wind "mixes" the sea, temperature can be 21-23°C from surface to 40m (at Northern Adriatic).

You're right, dives are generally deep but some locations (like Vis) have wonderful diving spots (even large wrecks) shallower than 20m.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom