Viz, Baby

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've heard a few folks say that visibility in this area is better in the winter than in the summer. 'Zat so, and why? I would think that winter=storms=low viz, and summer=nice and sunny=high viz.

Speaking as a nocal diver...the sun blooms the green stuff (yes know it's a technical statement :wink: ).
Even several days of overcast sometimes clears up the vis.
Andy

I guess I was thinking in beach diving terms. I figured the viz on beach dives was a function of the "swirliness" or "surginess" of the water, resulting in swirling sand which kills the viz. But you raise a good point. Never considered the "green stuffiness" of the water.

Mech is right, colder water generally = better vis... but you gotta avoid the storms....

Actually, the BEST beach diving vis is during fall Santana (not Santa Ana) conditions, blows the top warm layer off allowing colder clearer water to rise to the surface. Kinda screws up Catalina tho...

Chris

Colder water = less micro organisms to cloud up the water.

I'm sure Dr. Bill will come by and offer us a more technical explanation though. I'd be interested in what Doc thinks are historically the best months for vis on Catalina.

I've always liked diving in the winter better than the summer.

Christian

Don't forget that in SoCal Winter Storms = overcast days in the 60's - there isnt much crap stirred up or washed into the ocean on a regular basis, but when it does rain...stay out of the icky water.

I've noticed our best diving is in the end of August and September/October. Its before the storms, but after all the big green blooms.

Thomas

Summer storms are usually from the south and winter storms come from the north. Southern California has mostly south facing beaches so you get less wave activity, and the water is colder with less microorganisms (algal blooms, red tide) like others have said. The best conditions are usually after the Santa Ana winds start though. The winds blow the bad water out and the good water upwells. Nice and cold and clear!

Then I wonder why the viz in the Caribbean is so good when it's so hot there for most of the year. You'd think that the algae would be blooming like crazy there.

This is one of them conundrums or somethin'

mccabejc:
Then I wonder why the viz in the Caribbean is so good when it's so hot there for most of the year. You'd think that the algae would be blooming like crazy there.

This is one of them conundrums or somethin'
Different ecosystems and environment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom