Freshwater Mussels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mahhz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Are they any good to steam up and eat? I was diving in a nearby lake and saw quite a few of them in the dollar bill sized range. If they are edible, are those too big, would I need smaller ones?

I think they are technically edible (but don't hold me to that), but see as how they are filter feeders and will accumulate in their tissues any toxins that are in the water, I'd only eat them under three circumstances:
1. I knew they came from REALLY clean water, like no way it's polluted by waste run over or such (no houses around with a septic system, not connected to major rivers, etc.)
2. In a survival situation, when I had nothing else to eat (and even then I'd be careful and I'd have to be pretty damn hungry cause I don't like clams (so I doubt I'd like mussels either).
3. I had fixed some from this locale and fed them to someone else first (preferably someone you don't like in case they die from it :wink: ) and they had no ill effects over the next few days.

I'd still check into it before trying to eat them. Call a local university and see if they have someone who specializes in aquatic biology. They should be able to tell you. If not, call the Dept. of Fish and Game (whatever it is called in your state) and ask them.

-Steve

Ehhh, good ideas.....I'll just gather them up to use as fish bait, then eat the fish, haha

I believe it is illegal to consume FW mussels in TX. But I'm not sure exactly what they are trying to protect, us or the filtration system.

There are laws that specify how they maybe collected and what size they have to be. The license to collect them in Ky is IIRC around $750. If the Fish and Game guys catch you collecting them illegally it can mean the loss of any and all gear used including boats, trailers and tow vehicle. Make sure you know what the law is in each state you go to if you plan to collect any.

Mussels are often endangered species and in Illinois there are 14 different species on the threatened list. Probably shouldn't be used as bait unless you don't want your kids and/or grandchildren to know what one looks like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom