PRE DIVE SAFETY CHECK--Do you Do It?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoCalAJ

Reaction score
I have read many posts of equipment related problems,, specifically stuck inflators hoses...99.9% of these problems can be prevented by doing a pre-dive safety check.

Check your,
BCD
Weights
Releases
Air
Final Check...

That simple,,,,It very easy to develop a bad habit and not to do it....No Diver is to good or has to many dives to do a safety check.....

SoCalAJ:
I have read many posts of equipment related problems,, specifically stuck inflators hoses...99.9% of these problems can be prevented by doing a pre-dive safety check.

Check your,
BCD
Weights
Releases
Air
Final Check...

That simple,,,,It very easy to develop a bad habit and not to do it....No Diver is to good or has to many dives to do a safety check.....

Yup, I check myself.
BCD - only one SS buckle, easy peasy, inflate for giant stride
Weights- make sure they're there and secure prior to jumping in
Releases - don't got none
Air - 3-4 quick breaths looking at gauge after donning.
Final check - where's my camera?

Chris

Everytime!!

I always check everything. However, I started diving dry (relatively) three years ago. Since then, I have forgotten to connect my drysuit inflator three times. I usually remember by the time I feel like a vacuum-sealed frozen entree and I push the button allowing cold water into the suit.

I always do a pre-dive buddy check.
Once in the water we do a buddy bubble check before we decend.
When diving with my daughter or a new buddy I like to stop at 20 or 30' (depending on our plan)before continuing the decent to do a comfort/bouyancy check.
I started doing this comfort check with my daughter then used it with new buddies and now do it on about all dives.
It just takes a few seconds.

I check all my gear 2 once before leaaving the car and once right before my feet get wet ( beach dives) I also check my buddies and make sure he checks his own ( to get him in hte habbit)

Even with a pre dive check (everything was good to go ) I had my power inflater stick. JUst yank that quick dissconnect and everything was fine. Probably even saved a couple breatsh of air manually inflating : )

SoCalAJ:

Check your,
BCD
Weights
Releases
Air
Final Check...

I recently started doing more buddy dives and less "group" dives, and now I'm consistently doing the BWRAF check, as well as reviewing the dive plan, turnaround pressure, basic communications, etc. Only takes a minute. I've noticed that on many larger group dives, everyone seems like they're in a hurry to get into the water, sometimes we pair up with a buddy while in the water, and often the safety checks just don't happen. I feel better and safer doing the checks, knowing how to dump my buddy's weights, check his gauges, etc. I've noticed many divers don't take the time to do it, but I guess that's a personal choice. I'm not willing to compromise the checks anymore.
Kevin

Back
Top Bottom