Anyone here use Scubase as a dive log?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reeveseye

Contributor
Reaction score
I realize that this program doesn't always meet the needs of some divers, but it seemed to be the best one out there, so I use it to keep my logs in some semblance of order. I also think they've made some significant improvements in the year I've been using it. The reason I'm asking is that I've created a fairly detailed database of the fish life found in the
Southern California area, which can be exported for anyone's use in their own copy of the program. I wanted to get feedback from other SoCal divers who use the program before I go to the trouble of finding web space to host this database for other Scubase users to download. Would anyone be interested in trying this database out?

I tried it out and found it had the one 'problem' that my Suunto Dive Manager had...namely I can't merge two dives. They are talking about it as a future enhancement, so maybe I'll give it a shot again when they do. Its a nice tool, although a little 'heavy' in terms of computer resource requirements.

I also loose a little bit of detail when I transfer from my Suunto, so right now the value isn't sufficient for me to make the switch.

Enjoy.

I've been using Scubase for a few months now and I love it. Because its a customizable program I don't think its for the faint of heart - just about every parameter is can be customized (including calculations) so unless you have the patience to setup the log book something simpler may be better (you can, of course, use the default settings .. but then what's the point of getting a highly customizable logbook :wink:). But I love Scubase for this fact. I also love the organisms and site features (with thumbnails). The guys at Scubase also seem very responsive to suggestions and have a 'to-do' list - which seems to be very long! They are also very good at explaining why they did things a certain way and why they were not able to implement certain functions. The cost of the program includes all future upgrades and version 3.0 is much better than the previous version so I splurged for it.

The only thing that I didn't like was putting all my dives into Scubase when I first got it and setting up the organisms/site packs ... can be very time consuming if you have a lot of dives.

I was just looking at their website at http://www.scubase.net and it looks like a pretty comprehensive program.

Has anyone else in SoCal tried this product?

I'm wondering, does it work well without importing anything from a dive computer?

I've been thinking about getting a program to enter my dive log info into, but don't dive with a computer, only tables and a bottom timer. I'm thinking about just transferring my info from WetNotes to my computer manually and this program looks like it includes most of what I'd ever want in a "full package" software program. It's also encouraging that they are constantly upgrading the product.

And it's seems pretty inexpensive at $49!

I don't mean to hijack the thread. I just figured that if a lot of people here in SoCal are using this and like it, I might want to get it as well. At that point, I'd be interested in the database you are thinking of putting online.

Christian

Headhunter - I didn't import any computer data until a month ago. I just used it as a regular dive log which I printed out and put in my binder. Its cool because you can have it print out all the data that's important to you. Since then, however, I started importing SDM files and it seems to work pretty well, although not everything is imported. The profiles are imported but they do not contain any annotations that you may have placed on the SDM graph/profile. I basically just use the SDM to download the dive profile/temperature and then import into Scubase - everything else I input from Scubase.

So, in other words, yes, Scubase will work fine as a stand alone dive log without needing a computer. Just to clarify, Scubase doesn't download the dives directly from the computer, but it imports the 'export-file' from SDM (csv) so you still need the computer software to import data into Scubase.

HTH
Paul

...and I also thought $49 was pretty steep, but after corresponding with them for a while I felt very comfortable with the efforts to improve the product and having free upgrades that may have features you requested is kinda cool!

PnL:
...and I also thought $49 was pretty steep, but after corresponding with them for a while I felt very comfortable with the efforts to improve the product and having free upgrades that may have features you requested is kinda cool!
Hi Paul,

I just sent Scubase an email and got a response from them in less than 20 minutes. That is impressive!

Maybe I'll download their trial version and play with it a bit.

Thanks for your response!

Christian

Obviously I'm a fan of the program. They upgrade and improve it quite often, and a recent upgrade allowed me to start importing the dive data from my Uwatec SmartPro. As with Pnl's system, my Scubase program doesn't import everything from the Uwatec export, but it imports enough to save you some typing. If anyone wants to save themselves even more data entry labor, I'll be happy to e-mail the fish database their way. It's extremely detailed, with each entry full of information and photos taken from www.fishbase.org. As stated earlier, I have no web space to host it, and I don't want to do so until I get some outside feedback. The file size is a little over 7mb. Please post on this thread if you're interested.

John - I haven't even made an organism pack per se, just add them in as I need to, but mine's getting larger all the time :) One of the things that I requested was the ability to categorize the critters taxonomically for those that wish a more detailed organism pack. Alex told me that they plan on redoing the organims/dive features and make them into explorer windows (such as the dive explorer) to make it easier to customize, sort, search, etc through the lists (not due to my request - it was in the works already). As with you, my list is long and sometimes it takes some time to find the critter I'm trying to add to the log.

Great catch on the Fishbase.Org though, I can't believe I didn't mention it! There's a button on Scubase that links to it directly ... and fishbase.org is an AWESOME sight! I think you can place the organism pack on Scubase's website - they don't seem to have any other than the orginal ones and I'm sure they'd be happy to have more. I'm going to wait until the new version with the organism 'explorer' windows before submitting anything because I've got mine set up a little weird (by Phylum, Class/Subclass, and Order/Family) ... I'm not sure if its intuitive to anyone but me the way its set up ...lol :D

Back
Top Bottom