Will the construction never end?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I don't know about you, but I have about had it with the construction in the Waikiki area. Anybody hear when all is supposed to be done?

I guess it doesn't bother anybody but me...lol
If you're headed this was plan lots of time just to get thru Waikiki,

Leesa,

It used to bother me that there were new buildings being built around here (Silicon Valley) when there were dozens of buildings standing empty. Then it occurred to me that it doesn't matter whether buildings are needed; the people that build buildings have to build to make money. Same for roads. Even if you have all the roads you need, there are people that have to build more, or else they don't make any money.

In addition some governments (cities, counties, states) have to spend a certain amount each year on certain kinds of things or else they won't be able to get money budgeted in future years.

So basically they will always be erecting buildings, building roads and generally mucking about making our commutes hellish no matter what we do or what we think.

Hmm... I just wonder whether being stuck in traffic in "paradise" is better or worse than in a plain old regular city. Something to ponder.

Wristshot

The construction, enhancing the sidewalks (some kind of imported stone) - Plantind trees - adding fancy lamps -, has been going on since....something like February or March and stretches over 10 or so blocks. It also wouldn't be so bad if they hadn't started the construction (Adding trees and taking away parking to the entire length of the Ala Wai) on the one of the other three roads that runs thru Waikiki.....the only one that's not being worked on is a one way street....

I guess I could always stay at home :wink:

Just wait until Friday night! Big aloha festival in Waikiki. I thought about coming into the area for it but I don't think I could bear the traffic and finding parking.

justleesa:
I don't know about you, but I have about had it with the construction in the Waikiki area. Anybody hear when all is supposed to be done?

When I lived on Oahu and Kauai from 1977-86 it was said that the state bird was the crane. The big ones atop buildings during construction. I guess it hasn't changed much.

Why do you think I call it "Wakiwaki"? Sad to say, no, the jackhammering will never cease. The basic rationalization is this: "We have to keep re-inventing ourselves to offer new experiences for repeat visitors and grander experiences for first-timers". Sound like Vegas? Stereotypical 5th-Ave/Harvard MBA-speak. But I guess that orientation is for the large Asian/yuppie market although that may be changing with the new wave of young Asians who are more willing to go off and explore on their own rather than being bussed and spoon-fed from "attraction" to "attraction".. I think an awful lot of the old "charm" has gone; something that Kauai, Hana, Hilo, Molokai, and a few others have managed to hang on to. It's sad but inevitable.

Back
Top Bottom