Paradise Sport & PNG Currency Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebuddy68

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey! Going solo aboard the Mike Ball Paradise Sport on Oct 1st. Going right from the plane to boat and the boat to plane. Connecting through Cairns. My question is....

How much US $ should I convert to PNG currency? I know I need about $25 US to purchase a PNG visa. The boat accepts credit cards. So do I really need much more?

Also, for anyone that has been on this trip I would appreciate any tips/advice.

Thanks!

You would be surprised how far USD will go. If you are not going into villages or local shore spots, you may not need to convert any $$. Many places will take USD. I even bought a canoe paddle off a local who paddled to the dive boat to trade with USD.

Any idea what areas of PNG you will be diving?

Allison Finch:
You would be surprised how far USD will go. If you are not going into villages or local shore spots, you may not need to convert any $$. Many places will take USD. I even bought a canoe paddle off a local who paddled to the dive boat to trade with USD.

Any idea what areas of PNG you will be diving?
Milne Bay. Have you been? Thanks for the advice on the currency.

divebuddy68:
Milne Bay. Have you been? Thanks for the advice on the currency.

You lucky lucky bugger have fun.

I went three years ago to Kavieng trip so cant really advise too much. Think i spent 'stuff all' local money just used credit card on boat and hotel on the last night. Food is superb (or at least it was when i was there) Crab every day.

It is useful to take some pencils kids note books etc. The locals dont have that stuff and so pass it out to the kids who paddle out to the boat, breaks the ice and they do genuinely seem to appreciate it. My GF got this from either Mike Ball info or some other website and i thought here we go, but honestly the kids oveer the moon. Maybe you can then buy a paddle off there parents (wishes he had done that trick)

When I did Milne Bay on the PS I changed $50 before boarding. $30 would have been more than enough, as US$ are accepted everywhere. Walked around Alotau for a while, still didn't get an opportunity to spend.
Visited one village to see the "Cave of Skulls" and buy souvenirs. Dollars all the way.

I wouldn't worry. If you have PNG left at end of trip you can always get rid of it in the hotel that last night in Port Moresby.
You won't want to go out to spend it!

Hope you get to dive Blackjack

Enjoy,

Seadeuce

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom