Sep 04 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pasley

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Date:
Dive Location:
Time:
Bottom Time:
Max Depth:
Vis:
Wave height:
Temp at depth:
Surface Temp:
Tide information:
Comments:

If you dive, please post here.

Date: 8/1/04
Dive Location: Redondo Canyon
Time: 7:30 or so
Bottom Time: 35:00
Max Depth: 74 ft
Vis: 5 ft to 25 fsw, 30+ below that
Wave height: 2
Temp at depth: 55 Suunto
Surface Temp: 72 :)
Tide information: who knows
Comments: Nice nice nite dive wiuth Maciek and Frank O. Incredible viz down below, three juvie horn sharks, octo with tentacles hugging my finger, attacking sarcastic fringehead, one fringehead out in the open, thornback rays, round rays, scorpion fish, nudies, all the usuals......

Chris

Date: 04 Sep 04
Dive Location: Nicholas Canyon
Time: 8:15 a.m.
Bottom Time: 71:20
Max Depth: 39 FSW
Vis: 0- 10 plus feet
Wave height: 3-4 feet on entry, 4-5 on exit.
Temp at depth: 63 Suunto degrees
Surface Temp: 70 Suunto degrees
Tide information: LOW 6:39 a.m. 2.2 feet HIGH: 1:17 p.m. 5.2 feet
Comments: Hurricane down in Mexico. Swell expected to build by noon from the south. Arrived to 3 foot plus surf. Forecast was for high surf around noon. Suited up and went in. Dropped down about 100 yards off shore into near zero visibility, totally white. Swam out against a current and eventually got 10 foot plus visibility. Usual Suspects. Surfaced to more furs and a lot of surfers.

Date: Sept 4, 2004
Dive Location: La Jolla Cove
Time: 8:15am
Bottom Time: 45:18
Max Depth: 49 FSW
Vis: 15+ Feet
Wave height: 0' in cove, 1' outside cove
Temp at depth: 66
Surface Temp: 72
Tide information:
Comments: Made the long drive from LA, arrive just as the last of the parking spots filled up. Enter via cove and SSwim to outside dropping down in 18' w/300 heading to kelp beds. Many fish on the snorkel out, surface smelt, zebra perch, opal eye, garabaldi, etc. Kelp bed proved to be less exciting. Highlight, 4' shark bumping heads with my buddy (literally). Maybe a soupfin?? I'm not sure who frightened who.

2nd Dive
Dive Location: La Jolla Cove
Time: 10:32 am
Bottom Time: 48:16
Max Depth: 26 FSW
Vis: 15+ Feet
Wave height: 0' in cove, 1' outside cove
Temp at depth: 70 :thumbs_up
Surface Temp: 72
Tide information:

Agreed to keep depth to 25' max. as there was an abundance of sealife in shallows: banded guitar fish, bugs...big bugs, sculpin, etc. Great dive.

Dive Location: Diver's Cover
Time: 10:12 a.m.
Bottom Time: 44
Max Depth: 37
Vis: 25+ !!!
Wave height: 1-2
Temp at depth: 70
Surface Temp: 66 Suunto Degrees
Tide information:
Comments:

After our final dive for a Rescue Class that I was teaching, our group headed out SE of Diver's cove towards the outer reefs around Picnic Beach. Viz was absolutely fantastic the minute you entered the water, little to no surge, and waves basically non-existent except for the occasional 1-2 footer that would roll in about every 4 minutes.

Saw several octopus, including one whose suckers were about 3/8" in diameter. We also picked up several pounds of trash.

Date: September 3
Dive Location: Deadman's Reef
Time: 09:33
Bottom Time: 23 min
Max Depth: 51
Vis: 15-20'
Wave height: 1-3
Temp at depth: 68

Comments: Strong current at the point. The reef was teeming with fish. Scallops everywhere were releasing sperm into the water. Cool and yet gross! Viz was actually better closer to shore than at the reef. As we were coming in one of my buddies pointed a small bat ray....maybe 6 inches! Very cool!!!

Date:9/4/04
Dive Location:Farnsworth Banks
Time: 8:48am
Bottom Time: 30
Max Depth: 103fsw
Vis:15-30
Wave height:2-3
Temp at depth:63
Surface Temp:68
Comments:
Jumped in to find a mild current going. Swam to the anchor line and descended to find a bunch of that purple hydrocoral Farnsworth is so famous for at about 95fsw. Due to the current, we did not stray too far from the anchor line but I had a great time since this was my first dive ever at Farnsworth. I can see why Farnsworth is considered an advanced dive, very deep and a strong open ocean current, but it is an amazing dive site.

The Sea bass is a great little boat. Great crew and it is fast, we left San Pedro at 6:15 am and were in the water at Farnsworth by 8:45am. The boat is more like a "resort" type boat you would see in Hawaii or the Caribbean. With the weather as good as it was today, I felt like I was in Hawaii, until my face hit the water...

Date:9/4/04
Dive Location:Farnsworth Banks
Time: 10:54am
Bottom Time: 20
Max Depth: 93fsw
Vis:10-20
Wave height:2-3
Temp at depth:64
Surface Temp:68
Comments:
Jumped in and this time the current was really ripping. Got down to the top of the pinnacle at 90fsw and got tired of fighting it, so I made my way back up the anchor line and decided to practice shooting a bag from 40fsw. I got the bag rigged to my new reel and just as I took my reg out of my mouth to inflate the bag, I dropped the reel. I grabbed the line and wrapped it around my hand. I handed it to the DM on the boat who took in all 150' of line and handed me the rat's nest once I boarded the boat. I spent about 30 minutes untangling the darn thing. I had no business trying to shoot a bag for the 2nd time in my life in a current like that. At least I didn't lose the reel!

Date: 9/4/04
Dive Location: Refugio
Time: 9:30 AM
Bottom Time: 1:48
Max Depth: 28'
Vis: variable 10'-20'
Wave height: 1'-2'
Temp at depth: 62 F
Surface Temp: 80 F
Comments: The kelp on the right side of Refugio hasn't reappeared yet, so rather than try to swim out to a target we couldn't see, we went for the kelp forest on the left side of the beach. Nice dive once we got out far enough for the vis to pick up. All the usual fish and sea hare orgies, plus a 3' shovelnose guitarfish, and octopus seemingly everywhere we looked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom