Changing film between dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello All,

What are the risks of changing out rolls of film between dives? I do a lot of analog photography on land and will probably do the same underwater. However, since I shoot mostly slide film I would like to braket my photos until Im more confortable with the underwater world. However, that means eating up rolls of film. I would like to be able to change out the film from one dive spot to the next. Is this a big risk of causing a housing flood? Are there any people out there that do this that may have some suggestions? I did search the forums and was not able to find anything about this subject.

Thanks for your time.

-Dustin

-------------------------------
http://www.digitalvoidphotography.com

When I shot film I always had a hand towel with me. After soaking the camera in the rinse bucket at the start of my surface interval I would make sure I wiped off the camera and dried my hands. Then I would change the film as normal.

mydigitalvoid:
Hello All,

What are the risks of changing out rolls of film between dives? I do a lot of analog photography on land and will probably do the same underwater. However, since I shoot mostly slide film I would like to braket my photos until Im more confortable with the underwater world. However, that means eating up rolls of film. I would like to be able to change out the film from one dive spot to the next. Is this a big risk of causing a housing flood? Are there any people out there that do this that may have some suggestions? I did search the forums and was not able to find anything about this subject.

Thanks for your time.

-Dustin

-------------------------------
http://www.digitalvoidphotography.com

I do it all the time. I carefully wipe down the camera prior to opening it and I make sure to watch out for drips coming off my hair, suit or anything else around. Otherwise just be as caerful as you would when initially putting the camera together.

DSDO

Alan

It's usually pretty easy to change film in a housed camera. Some housings allow film to be changed by removing the housing back but not removing the camera. On other housings, you'll have to lift the camera out a bit to allow the camera door to open. Make sure the housing is toweled dry and that your hands, face, and, especially, hair are dry. It doesn't hurt to wrap a towel around your head to keep water from falling from your hair. Take the camera below decks to change film if possible. Nikonos cameras are a little more difficult, because the camera itself is wet. After placing film in a Nikonos, be careful advancing the film before the back is closed. If you let the advance lever slip, it'll snap back and spray water all over the place. -Clay

i use digital (so no real reason to open the housing unless battery is low or CF card is full) - the manual did recommend however only to open the camera housing in an air conditioned environment (e.g. in your room before the dive and not on the boat) - also mentions small particles (even as small as a hair) could be enough to cause a leak and possible flooding (so I guess the chance of getting some particle on the O-ring is increased if you open it on a boat, dock or beach)...or just be very careful !
The boat will always (usually !?) have a camera bucket - make sure you put your camera in the water and look to see if there are any unexpected bubbles caused by a little leak - if not, you should be fine on the dive.

another tip, open the housing, with the back facing downward (but be ready to support the camera), as this will stop any stray drops of water from falling onto the camera, they will fall away from it (theres ususaly a drop or 2 left in the latches, even after toweling and blowing with some air).

Art

All the advice given is good Except using a towel=lint. I use two chamois leather's.
1/After fresh water rinse dry with chamois then place chamois on table/floor (where ever your going to place cameras/housing)
2/Use 2nd chamois to dry again then while camera/housing is open I keep chamois #2 covering it so no stray spray or water from other divers get into it.

Also, be careful of others on the boat. Curious, wet, divers = BAD. Make sure you can have your own little corner on the boat that you can keep clean and dry. Be quick as well, salt air is not good for your camera...have everything set up before you open the camera up to minimize the risks. I also make sure I am dry from the waist up.

Good Luck!

Ive heard to take your regulator and blow off the housing to help dry it to help avoid drips. I never seem to be able to keep a towl dry long after the boat leaves the dock.

Do you have a slide scanner, Im interested to see how the colors are on slides vs digital. My dad shoots slides on land and it beats anything I can do digital....without altering it anyway!

Back
Top Bottom