Light Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CALI68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am set on buying a Halcyon Helios Light but I am torn between the options. I'm leaning towards The 4.5 with the 10W head. I like the 10W head because of it's adjustability and compact size but then again the idea of having an 18W head is pretty cool. The aplication will be for open water diving on singles. I dive in Monterey so often times a sunny topside still means a near night dive in terms of Vis. In your opinions is the 18W overkill or a good idea. Does the 4.5 last long enough or should I get the Helios 9? Is there a set DIR rule for the choice in light head/cannister size?

CALI68:
I am set on buying a Halcyon Helios Light but I am torn between the options. I'm leaning towards The 4.5 with the 10W head. I like the 10W head because of it's adjustability and compact size but then again the idea of having an 18W head is pretty cool. The aplication will be for open water diving on singles. I dive in Monterey so often times a sunny topside still means a near night dive in terms of Vis. In your opinions is the 18W overkill or a good idea. Does the 4.5 last long enough or should I get the Helios 9? Is there a set DIR rule for the choice in light head/cannister size?
You will get ~4hrs of runtime with a 10W light and a 4.5 ampHr battery pack.

The 18W is a good light for dark, deep places. (Not so good for critters eyes)

Where do you want to go with your diving? Buying a 18W first is cheaper than buying a 10W first and then a 18W later.

If you decide that single tank rec dives is the primary application, then the 10W is lots of light.

Decisions...decisions...it's tough, isn't it.

I would recommend the 18/9...if it's in your budget.

You may already be aware, but there are other options other than the Halcyon...maybe even better!

If you want a killer can, then you might want to consider the one made by Howard Sandroff. Mated to a Divelightman head...the same one that Halcyon uses...and an EKPP reflector...it's tough to beat! You might say it is an improved Helios!

Stephen

...and this you can't get anywhere else...at least not yet!

Stephen Ash:
Decisions...decisions...it's tough, isn't it.

If you want a killer can, then you might want to consider the one made by Howard Sandroff. Mated to a Divelightman head...the same one that Halcyon uses...and an EKPP reflector...it's tough to beat! You might say it is an improved Helios!

Stephen

And where can we get one of these?
Please tell us!!!

Robert,
Check out the light section at the decostop.
Cali68,
I dive Monterey and have a helios 18w light coming in this week.
PM me if you want to try it out.
Andy

Here are some of the specs on Howard's can:

Canister Specs
Canister Dimensions: 8.5” (high) X 3.5” (diameter)

Material & color: Black Delrin, machined from a solid Delrin rod

Weight: with Battery Pack: 5 lbs

Buoyancy with Battery Pack: - 1.75 lbs

Hardware: screws, pipe clamps, latches are Stainless Steel.
Compression fitting for light head cable is SS and chrome steel.

Pressure tested to 555 ffw

Battery Pack
20 - 4.5 amp hour 4/3 Fat A, Sanyo NiMH Cells, wired as two strings of
10 (in series) in parallel

Nominal voltage: 12 volts

Current capacity: 9 amp hours

Burn time: Using an 21 Watt, HID Light Head, between 3.5 and 4 hours.

Charger included.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom