OT - North Shore distances...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeputyDan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be vsiting Hawaii next year and my wife would like to do the "tourist sights" on Oahu. This would be (A) Pearl Harbor (B) Dole Plantation (C) Cultural Center and (D) snorkeling in hanauma bay

My question is two fold!

#1. If we stay on the North Shore of Oahu is it too far to Pearl Harbor and Hanauma Bay?

#2. So after reading #1 you realize, I don't have a clue, so what area of the island would you suggest we look at for lodging?

This is her week - I get my week also so don't feel too sorry for me!!!

Thanks.

If you stay on the North Shore, you will be close to Dole Plantation and the Cultural Center. You will be about 40 minutes away from Pearl Harbor, depending on the traffic. Hanauma Bay is on the far (opposite) side of the island, so figure in at least another 35-40 minutes from Pearl Harbor - again depending on traffic. To get to the downtown/Waikiki area from the North Shore, it will take you about 50-60 minutes.

You want to arrive at Hanauma early, but if you are planning to visit it on a weekday (and are staying on the North Shore), keep in mind you will hit the morning rush hour on your way into town. In that instance it will probably take you over 2 hours.

So I suppose what part of the island you want to stay at depends on your daily itinerary and if there is anything else you want to see, other than what you have listed.

Most of the things you can check off on a circle trip of the Island. If you take a look at my recent panorama photos, they were all taken on the same day on a trip around the Island. I past most of the spots you mentioned.

When you go to Hanama Bay make sure you get there early...the lines are very very long to get down to the beach.

Plan at least half a day for the Polynesian Cultural Center

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom