Oceanic Vortex v12 vs ScubaPro Twin Jets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crheine

Reaction score
I was looking for a pair of fins and the scuba pro get great reviews from everywhere i look. I was also recently recommended a pair of oceanic Vortex v12 and have found very little on the net about them. If anyone has tried them or has tried both the v12 and the scubapros that would be great. But if anyone can give me some more info about the v12 that would be great too.Thanks in advance for all your help..

Hi there. I used to wonder why I had a hard time keeping up to my buddies. Then I tried on the v12s that they all wear.
SICK! First thing i noticed was that I kept checking to see if I was still wearing fins at all, they slice the water effortlessly.
Second, my speed doubled and my air consumption improved slightly. I don't own my own yet but will soon enough. Everyone I dive with seems to have 'em so I don't have much choice if I want to keep up. I have used them several times now and I'm sold.

GoJu:
Hi there. I used to wonder why I had a hard time keeping up to my buddies. Then I tried on the v12s that they all wear.
SICK! First thing i noticed was that I kept checking to see if I was still wearing fins at all, they slice the water effortlessly.
Second, my speed doubled and my air consumption improved slightly. I don't own my own yet but will soon enough. Everyone I dive with seems to have 'em so I don't have much choice if I want to keep up. I have used them several times now and I'm sold.

I didn't know that SCUBA was a timed race event. Can't see a heck of a lot of stuff if you're flying by it.

Anyways, if speed is what matters to you, the ScubaPro Twin Jets do a really good job in propelling you forward. My advice, slow down and look around. The ol' ScubaPro Jet Fins are half the cost of the twins, you can frog kick with them, and they just look really cool.

Mel

Thanks for the advice so far. anyone else that has any input on the situation please let me know. i dont want to make the wrong decision and prefer actual diver advice over that of dive shops. While some seem very honest , you cant trust them all.

melfox26:
I didn't know that SCUBA was a timed race event. Can't see a heck of a lot of stuff if you're flying by it.

Anyways, if speed is what matters to you, the ScubaPro Twin Jets do a really good job in propelling you forward. My advice, slow down and look around. The ol' ScubaPro Jet Fins are half the cost of the twins, you can frog kick with them, and they just look really cool.

Mel

Thats true, but a lot of the diving I do is from shore and Involves a lot of surface swimming. I just hate being beat by the time I catch up to everyone. Also underwater you don't have to giv'er but it still takes a lot less effort to flick around.
Agreed on the cost though those v12s cost a chunk, but I like the way thay look.

just looking for more opinions on the V12

I'm a split-finner for life, I own a pair of atomics, atomic liquid blues and Oceanic V12s, and as many of my friends will attest to, I absolutely loathe my V12s. For me, with most of my gear, its a matter of finding a balance between ease of use and function. While I dont feel the V12s at all, I also never feel like I'm going anywhere. In surge, they dont put off enough power to keep me in place, and in current, they're too weak again. The regular atomics on the other hand are a the most rigid I have, and they arent as easy to kick with (still very easy, but not ultra effortless) but they have more thrust, so I use them when drift diving in case I have to swim up current for whatever reason. For me, the liquid blues are the perfect balance. They're soft and easy to kick with, but have enough thrust for my uses, although I still dont use them for drift diving. I can also do any number of kicks with them.
My friend used to dive twinjets, and has since switched to atomics, saying that with his dry suit, he needs a little more thrust.

i love my twin speeds.
i've found them good in and above water as i also really love snorkelling.
speedwise, i've never had trouble catching up with anyone, although i hope i'll never have a buddy i need to catch up with. also swimming in current was not a problem.
the other fins i've never heard of, but i've been reading a bit in this forum and think that fins have a lot to do with how you swim/kick and in watch conditions you swim in. and the fit is quite important as well. it's not a shoe, but it should fit and be comfortable.
if you can see if you can rent both for testing, that will give you the best answer ever, since everyone loves their own prefered fins right? so you'll be getting good and bad answers for both the fins you mentioned.

edit: i didn't check the name. i thought the twin speeds were the only scubapro split fins, didn't know they also had a twin jet.

I used to have the twin jets. Then my buddy showed up with the newer Twin Speeds by Scuba Pro. These were much stiffer. After trying them, I sold my twin jets and bought the twin speeds. With the stiffer fin, I had much better fine adjustment on my kicks. By the way, who says you can't frog kick with splits???? That's all I do is frog kick in mine. I dived with jet fins for thirty years before I tried the splits and will not be using the jets again.

I have used several pairs of fins from Scuba Pro (including the Jet Fin, which I personally think is the most over-hyped piece of crap...), Cressi, and Oceanic. I dive most frequently with the V12s, and they have done just fine by me.
They are very soft and pliable, and you will literally swim effortlessly with them.
In the "clinical" trial I did with them, I compared them with my Rondines (super stiff fin), and found that my lap times in the pool were faster with the V12, required fewer kick cycles, and were much easier on the legs.
The foot pocket is wide, which is nice for drysuit boots, or hard-soled wet boots.
If the price doesn't frighten you off, you will not regret the V12, no matter what fin you compare them with.
-Andrew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom