Weird weather!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cowprintrabbit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
This is the second time this year I've been able to see lightning striking trees in the woods behind my house in Redmond from our 3rd floor windows... Kinda spooky for a girl who grew up in a 3BR apt....

Thought we were too close to water for T-storms?

Weather this last couple of weeks has just been weird in general... its pouring, then its 80.. then theres lightning... then its just cloudy and muggy...

When will it make up its mind? I don't mind lightning storms... as long as it dosen't hit my house! lol

Kayla

Kayla:
Weather this last couple of weeks has just been weird in general... its pouring, then its 80.. then theres lightning... then its just cloudy and muggy...

When will it make up its mind? I don't mind lightning storms... as long as it dosen't hit my house! lol

Kayla

It seems like there was more rainfall in August than usual. Possibly a tough long/dark winter ahead. :(

Thunderstorms are largely a matter of energy (heat) and atmospheric instability.

If you have heat and humidity and the atmosphere cools rapidly enough as you rise in altitude you get thunderstorms.
Look at Florida, lots of water, add sunshine and we get thunderstorms.

With you on the west coast there is the factor of the colder water in the ocean that will tend to deprive the energy needed to make big storms.

In any case, take lightning seriously!
If you can hear thunder, or see the lightning bolt then you are at risk. Take shelter in a strong building awas from pipes and wires and stay off of the phone.

I was hit by a lightning strike that came in the phone line and I only got a tiny bit of it and it really messed me up.

WarmGoingCold:
It seems like there was more rainfall in August than usual. Possibly a tough long/dark winter ahead. :(

Where I live we got 28 days of rain in August...... The up-side is that I'm getting my money's worth on the Gortex clothing. :)

R..

Be glad your not in Florida, looks like they are going to get flattened again. I hope all this rough weather is a fluke and not a "global warming" symptom.

SteveB

pipedope:
Thunderstorms are largely a matter of energy (heat) and atmospheric instability.

If you have heat and humidity and the atmosphere cools rapidly enough as you rise in altitude you get thunderstorms.
Look at Florida, lots of water, add sunshine and we get thunderstorms.

At least my Redmond Apartment is on the ground floor so someone else will get hit first.

HA HA\\

Weather has been wierd. As I am from Indiana orginally, this is kind of tame, no tornados.

Diver Mike:
At least my Redmond Apartment is on the ground floor so someone else will get hit first.

HA HA\\

no tornados.

I wouldn't say that too loud. There were a couple touched down in Spokane not too long ago. They're getting closer :dazzler1:

Besides, you Seattle people deserve the crummy weather for having all the saltwater on your side.

MD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom