blue water filter inside or out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdowndiverup

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently mounting a Sony TRV-340 inside a Sony Marine pack F340. I am very new to underwater video. But I am having fun. I guess I would get better color at 20M if I installed a blue water filter. I went to several camera stores finally found and bought a 35$ 52 mm filter. Should I attempt to mount it on the outside of the housing window so that it is easily removable. Perhaps some kind of hinged bracket. Or make use of the fine threads on the window housing and have the filter screw on.

Perhaps I should just mount the filter in front of the camera wide angle lense inside the housing.

The housing is verylarge and I have plenty of room.

Any opinions: Inside or outside the housing?

Thanks in advance

I have two filters one is internal that screws over the WA lens. The other is a remote "flip up" filter.

I like the flip up as I use two UK 100 Light Cannons as vifdeo lights and I need to remove the filter to shoot with them.

If I am sure that I am not going to use the lights (daylight, shallow dive, non-macro etc, then I will use the screw on one.

Just my experiences.

Thanks DiverMike. Guess I will experiment with mounting the filter on the outside. I think I will attempt to have some kinda bracket made at a local PVC pipe shop that will screw on infront of the housing window.
Perhaps the bracket(disc) could be rotated by hand. Turned forward to place the filter infront of the lense. Turned back to let the camera view without the filter.

diverdowndiverup:
The housing is verylarge and I have plenty of room.

Any opinions: Inside or outside the housing?

I'd certainly make it removable, but if you're not going to shoot with lights, inside will be fine. Unless you're shooting in really shallow water. I generally put my filter on as soon as I start to descend and leave it on all the time. You'll want it for anything below 10' to about 60' depending on the available light.

Having said that, mine is mounted on the outside in a large plastic ring that slips over my lens port.

Make sure that whatever design you come up has the provision to get the bubbles off the inside surface of the filter and outside of your lens port. Nothing ruins a good video like a bubble clinging to the surface of the filter, it's sometimes hard to see in bright water.

I have no plans for using lights yet. At the end of the month I should be back in the water and I'll put the filter on the inside and see how that goes.
Thanks for the tips about bubbles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom