Trip to Lahaina recomend please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J1M1

Reaction score
taking a trip to lahaina and wondering first the best dives sites in the area and whith which shop that is close. My buddy says lahaina divers. They are very close. But, i need to rent a set of doubles. Where can i do that relatively close by. My gear that im bringing is set up for doules and thats it. I have not dove a single in a long time>...Help would be greatly appreciated.....JD

You need to rent two tanks or does it have to be a doubles set up. I know that B&B Scuba has tech divers but I'm not sure they rent that and they are in Kihei.

Black Rock isn't far from there, I enjoy Honolua Bay further north and there are a few other sites in the area worth diving. I prefer below Kihei more and of course the backwall of Molokini. From Lahaina you might hitch a ride to Lanai and do some dives there.

I have not been there myself, but Undercurrent reported that Lahaina Divers consistently and significantly short fills their tanks. I don't usually report what I don't see first hand, but at least consider getting several more positive responses before you decide to go with them-- JMO

As Al said, B & B rents doubles and has nitrox and trimix fills, but they are in Kihei. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any shops in Lahaina that rent doubles and I'm pretty confident Lahaina Divers doesn't. You may look up Pacific Dive, I know they have rebreathers, may be worth a call.

wingnut:
As Al said, B & B rents doubles and has nitrox and trimix fills, but they are in Kihei. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any shops in Lahaina that rent doubles and I'm pretty confident Lahaina Divers doesn't. You may look up Pacific Dive, I know they have rebreathers, may be worth a call.

thanks i'll give them a try...JD

No offense, but, how much air do you need? I've never seen anyone use doubles in all my diving experience (23 years of teaching SCUBA in tropical climates). I don't know of anyone here who will rent doubles. Like it was mentioned, B&B has them but they are primarily used for the rebreather setups and deco stops. Maybe you should look at getting a steel 100 or something if you need lots of air. Sounds like you should try to get this figured out before you get here or you might find yourself out of luck in the double department. If it doesn't work out, you could just use gear that is available here. All the dive boats can provide gear for the dives you will make with them. Some charge extra for this, some don't. Then you wouldn't have to drag your set-up all the way from the east coast just for a couple dives, might make things easier on you.

Good luck and have fun. If you need info about the south shore dive sites, I hit them all the time and would be happy to give you a report on current conditions and stuff.

Aloha!

IIRC there was another dive shop in Lahaina across the street from Lahaina Divers, I think it was Pacific Dive. It was more of a scuba shop and less of a boat charter. I would recommend calling ahead and seeing if they can set you up doubles. You can always rent a reg there and use a single. Most of the shops are set up for alum 80 singles and not much else.

SteveB

Shaka Doug:
No offense, but, how much air do you need? I've never seen anyone use doubles in all my diving experience (23 years of teaching SCUBA in tropical climates). I don't know of anyone here who will rent doubles. Like it was mentioned, B&B has them but they are primarily used for the rebreather setups and deco stops. Maybe you should look at getting a steel 100 or something if you need lots of air. Sounds like you should try to get this figured out before you get here or you might find yourself out of luck in the double department. If it doesn't work out, you could just use gear that is available here. All the dive boats can provide gear for the dives you will make with them. Some charge extra for this, some don't. Then you wouldn't have to drag your set-up all the way from the east coast just for a couple dives, might make things easier on you.

Good luck and have fun. If you need info about the south shore dive sites, I hit them all the time and would be happy to give you a report on current conditions and stuff.

Aloha!

No offense taken i just prefer to dive doubles as my rig is for doubles only,,, unless someone there has a single tank adaptor. My rmv is pretty low so its not that i need all the gas doubles provide for the shallower dives we will be doing.I like to dive MY rig, not a rented piece of gear that i dont even know if it works properly or how to get to a piece of gear. Many people like to dive doubles only for redundancy and the bouyancy characteristics, even if they are low volume cylinders. Who in hawaii is using doubles for "deco stops"? use a manifolded set of steels for a sling bottle?....LOL I guess you meant that for decompression diving, most divers there are wearing a set of doubles. Well where can i get some...JD

Back
Top Bottom