The first Annual Diving Festival in Greece-KALYMNOS ISLAND

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppetross21

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The first Annual Diving Festival in Greece, will take place on Kalymnos island from 5-12 September 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Exciting news. Kalymnos is organising a week- long diving festival from 5th to 12th September.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The festival will provide the opportunity for scuba diving in newly opened, unexplored waters off the Kalymnos coast, for helmet diving and for excursions - and possibly diving - with working sponge divers.
Onshore, there will be a programme of film, books, talks, dance, food, drink, diving memorabilia and more.
Best of all: participation is free!!!

http://www.all-about.gr/Diving/default_en.asp?menu_id=306undefined

ppetross21:
The first Annual Diving Festival in Greece, will take place on Kalymnos island from 5-12 September 2004

Exciting news. Kalymnos is organising a week- long diving festival from 5th to 12th September.
The festival will provide the opportunity for scuba diving in newly opened, unexplored waters off the Kalymnos coast, for helmet diving and for excursions - and possibly diving - with working sponge divers.
Onshore, there will be a programme of film, books, talks, dance, food, drink, diving memorabilia and more.
Best of all: participation is free!!!

http://www.all-about.gr/Diving/default_en.asp?menu_id=306undefined

The Scuba Diving Vacation & Destinations section has a forum dedicated to European dive destinations. I have taken the liberty of sharing your post here in the hope it will get a wider audience.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

DocVikingo:
The Scuba Diving Vacation & Destinations section has a forum dedicated to European dive destinations. I have taken the liberty of sharing your post here in the hope it will get a wider audience.

Best regards.

DocVikingo[/QUOTE

Taking this opportunity, I would like to thank you for your interest in the programm I have sent. I hope next year you will participate as well in the 2nd diving festival.

Sincerely,
petros

At the risk of hijacking the thread maybe you can help clarify some things about greek diving:

Are they national laws blanket banning night diving, <30m diving,night diving and diving on wrecks or local?

Are there any sites or people that can be asked to clarify the diving restrictions in certain areas or islands ?

In addition to this, 2 years ago there was much local talk about the legalisation of wreck diving for wrecks less than 100 years old in some areas but ive not heard any more about this - is it still an idea or has it vanished out of sight?

Basically, where can i find information about the diving rules and regulations in different areas of greece?

(If this is off topic, apologies, you can PM the answers if you dont want to clutter the thread).

ppetross21,
Do you have any pictures from the festival on land or underwater?
I would love to see some.

String:
At the risk of hijacking the thread maybe you can help clarify some things about greek diving:

Are they national laws blanket banning night diving, <30m diving,night diving and diving on wrecks or local?

Are there any sites or people that can be asked to clarify the diving restrictions in certain areas or islands ?

In addition to this, 2 years ago there was much local talk about the legalisation of wreck diving for wrecks less than 100 years old in some areas but ive not heard any more about this - is it still an idea or has it vanished out of sight?

Basically, where can i find information about the diving rules and regulations in different areas of greece?

(If this is off topic, apologies, you can PM the answers if you dont want to clutter the thread).
I am sorry for intruding the thread but I hope Petros wont mind.

Scuba diving in Greece is in principle forbidden. It is allowed to a maximoum depth of 40 m to specific "released' areas, from sunrise to sunset. You can find a map of these areas at http://www.chez.com/fani/ Fishing and hunting with scuba equipment is forbidden.

I hope the abovementioned link will answer your questions

Thats helped a bit although where i have been im informed the legal maximum depth is 30m.

It also doesnt mention that in the area i was at least ALL wreck diving is banned (not just antiques). The single thing alone could transform greece into a relatively dull dive destination into a very good destination if changed even for "young" wrecks. There was talk about it but now everything seems to have gone quiet on that topic.

Another odd rule the site mentions which surprises me is the insistance of the US/PADI style red/white striped flag and no mention of the international A-flag. Seems slightly confusing the only authorised flag is an unofficially used one.

Diving in greece looks to be a minefield of red tape and restrictions :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom