Custom White Balance - Is it worth the money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShoalDiverSA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi there,

[It's been a while since I have posted - mostly due to lack of diving to talk about.]

I use the Samsung V4 camera, which has now been superceded by the V5 (and V6). Other than the obvious improvement of the V5 being 5 megapixels, it also offers a custom white balance setting. I tried it out today (in the shop) and was quite pleased with the simplicity of setting the white balance. The camera has the same outline dimensions and button positions as the V4, so it can be used in the same housing as the V4. Another improvement is video mode which has been hopped up to 640x480 @ 30fps from 288x208 @ 15fps.

So... is custom white balance worth the trouble of selling my camera and paying the additional loot to buy the V5? If that was the only consideration, would you do it? I am probably going to end up paying about $150 out of my pocket for the new camera - depending on what I can get for the V4.

I am seriously considering it based upon the improved video performance, but I don't know if that is enough.

Thanks for the input - it is always appreciated.

Cheers,

Andrew

ShoalDiverSA:
So... is custom white balance worth the trouble of selling my camera and paying the additional loot to buy the V5? If that was the only consideration, would you do it? I am probably going to end up paying about $150 out of my pocket for the new camera - depending on what I can get for the V4.

Simple: YES.

IMHO: Yes.

Manual WB produces better non-strobe shots than Auto WB underwater.

Even though you can use the "mandrake process" on the Auto WB shots to improve them I think the overall results of Manual WB are better and they don't require the "mandrake process".

I agree...yes

Gilligan...I have a question...now if I use WB, ..should i use the internal flash?? all the time? or it's going to vary and how do i know when to use it or not to. thanks

Scuba65:
Gilligan...I have a question...now if I use WB, ..should i use the internal flash?? all the time? or it's going to vary and how do i know when to use it or not to. thanks

The 'Manual' WB is calibrated for the non-strobe shots. You need to switch over to 'Auto' WB for the strobe shots. The internal strobe is good to about 3 feet max. and therefore better for macro mode shots. Everything beyond 3 feet is out of range of the internal strobe so you would be better off using the 'Manual' WB.

Keep in mind that you will get better results using the camera in Manual Mode where you set the F stop and shutter speed. That requires you to find the "sweet spots" on your camera for the internal strobe shots and the non-strobe shots.

For example, you may be taking a Macro shot with the internal strobe and the camera at F6.3 and 1/125 shutter speed on Auto WB. You then want to take a non-strobe shot on manual WB. You will have to change the settings to something like F5.0 and 1/60 as you are now using the ambient light. You also have to remember to turn the strobe off or you will have a reddish photo.

Sounds like a lot of work but it's not when you get used to switching the cameras settings. The results are worth it.

Not knowing anything about the camera and housing in question, just make sure your controls allow you to access the manual WB setting.

ok..got that...that's great info. now if i was to use an external strobe...is it the same?

Scuba65:
ok..got that...that's great info. now if i was to use an external strobe...is it the same?

Yes, the same applies except you will have more light and coverage area from an external strobe. You will aslo have the settings on the strobe to deal with in addition to those of the camera.
Now add a wide angle lens and close-up lens to that routine and your good to go. :eek:ctopus:

Ha,ha,ha....man, this is hard work...i should just dive and enjoy it without all the extra work from the camera. I did get a wide angle lens to complicate my life, and i might be getting a strobe since now i'm able to get one really cheap from a friend of mine. but, how much do i want to complicate my dive in the bahamas is the question. well, hopefully it won't be too bad. I'm trying to figure out all the settings and with your help it has helped me out in been able to know somewhat what i'll be doing. thanks for answering my questions, much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom