Weekend Swell Predictions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Here's a copy of this morning's swell predictions for the Labor Day Weekend, from the Wetsand link Mr. Pasley posted. (excellent site, BTW):

"Saturday the 4th the NW is expected to drop off, and we’ll be seeing some significant swell from Hurricane Howard. The timing on Howard (explained in more detail in the tropics section below) now says Howard’s initial energy should hit by early morning on Saturday in SD, possibly pre dawn, and then migrate up the rest of the SoCal coast by mid morning. This system’s fetch has increased significantly in the last 24 hours, and bigger surf is now expected. Calculations today point to 8-10 foot face heights at breaks with 170-180 degree exposure in SoCal..."

"Sunday the 5th the south swell from Howard is expected to continue, but Sunday should be seeing the last of this storm’s swell. We’re calling for similar size and conditions on Sunday; however, a decreasing trend may be evident by the afternoon hours. Nevertheless, given the intensity of this storm, we’re erring on the side of caution, and maintaining an advisory for rip tides and heavy southerly swell.

Monday the 6th is not going to be a flat day, but Howard’s swell will be backing off. Current estimates place size at south facing breaks into the chest to head high range but with less consistency."

I think I'll bring my boogieboard with me this weekend, just in case. Boogieboarding on 8-10 foot face heights should be pretty sweet...

Saturday sounds like a good day to practice your beach diving skills! Vis will be pretty bad if 10 foot breakers are churning things up though. :wink:

Christian

Hah, with 8-10 foot waves, looks like my trip to Farnsworth Banks tomorrow is not going to happen.

And it looks like (soon to be) Hurricane Ivan will hit the Cayman Islands when I am there next week.

Pretty active hurricane season this year...

Anyone wanna bet they close Laguna to diving tomorrow and Sunday?

Anway, if all goes well, tomorrow I'll be skipping over those 10 foot swells in the big, high speed Catalina Express, sneering at those puny waves.

We are suppose to be taking a liveboard over to Catalina Saturday night......looks like it will be a fun ride over....

Kaz

Guess my trip to Farnsworth is a go tomorrow. The Capt. of the boat we chartered expects 3-4ft swell in the channel. Every trip where I have tried to fo to Farnsworth has been redirected due to high seas. Hope we make it this time since I have never been there.

Farnsworth was beautiful today. Swell was not a problem. Current picked up around 10:30 am, so we only got 2 dives in there and then we headed to eagle rock at the very tip of the west end.

Back
Top Bottom