Buckle and Knife postions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
Even in the DIR-F book there are some pictures with the buckle on the harness to the right of the crotch strap (pulled through the strap) and other pictures with it to the left of the crotch strap (not going through the strap).

So, is either way acceptable?

The knife always seems to be to the left of the strap. I'm lefty, so it is easier to grab it with my left hand if it's to the right of the crotch strap.
Is there anything wrong with puting it there?

Also I'm a pretty skiny guy, so with the knife and canister on my right it is pretty tight if I do pull the buckle to that side too.

So I guess basically what I'm asking is...is it ok to keep the buckle to the left of my crotch strap and my knife to the right?

The nice thing about having the buckle to the right of the crotch strap is that you can tuck the excess webbing into the crotch strap loop.

Where you place the knife isn't nearly as important as being able to reach it with either hand. You mention handedness; which is why I point that out.

I run my buckle through my crotch strap, so it's on the right, and I have shears on my left side. I'm left handed and can reach it with either my left or right hand without a problem.

The issues I could see with having the knife on the right side is 1) can you reach it with your left hand if you had stages? and 2) You'd have to take the knife off to get your canister light off.

Spectre:
The nice thing about having the buckle to the right of the crotch strap is that you can tuck the excess webbing into the crotch strap loop.

Where you place the knife isn't nearly as important as being able to reach it with either hand. You mention handedness; which is why I point that out.

I run my buckle through my crotch strap, so it's on the right, and I have shears on my left side. I'm left handed and can reach it with either my left or right hand without a problem.

The issues I could see with having the knife on the right side is 1) can you reach it with your left hand if you had stages? and 2) You'd have to take the knife off to get your canister light off.
Plus your dive buddy will be making intimate contact with you in search of that knife to cut you free on the left.

I think the important issue here is standardization. The knife and buckle are things that need to be able to be found quickly, because if your buddy is going for them, it's likely because of an emergency. For that reason, I'd say stick with the standard knife left, buckle right.

Actually I already do tuck the extra strap around and through the back of the crotch strap, of course if the buckle was on the right there would be a little more extra strap to tuck.

as far as the knife, the book says "As close to the center of the diver as possible". So which ever side it's on, it's going to be pretty much, right next to the crotch strap. Is it really going to be that hard for my budy to find, if it's 2" to the right of where his own knife is?

Having to take the knife off to get to the canister is a very good point. I did consider that one. As far as stages...well I'm not even close to being there yet, but I can still easily reach it with my pony slung stage style (I know...pony BAAAAD, NOT DIR, but required by NJ dive boats unless diving doubles)

Lastly is the buck position realy standardized? As I said even in the DIR-F book itself there are picture with the buckle on both sides?

Kife on the right also falls off constantly when your geting into and out of your gear. There is no buckle keep it on like there is if you wear it on the left.

I think thoses pics you mention are mirrored, not sure take a closer look at the hoses etc. if the buckle was on the left were would you tuck the extra web in? In DIR/F they teach knife on left, buckle on right, on the DIR DVDs GI has it that way too. So I think that would answer the question

The buckle is on the right because it passes through the crotch strap loop.
This puts it in a position so that if the crotch strap loop slips, as it pulls back to center it will not open the buckle.

Putting the buckle on the left will create a snag point where if the strap slips past the buckle, it will grab the release and open it as it moves back to center.

And yes... it makes for a crowded side. Canister on the right, hip D-ring on the left. Buckle on the right, knife on the left. Personally, I do use a second buckle to secure the canister, so I don't have to readjust my harness as I switch from my drysuit to my wetsuit (I have the shoulder straps set so they are a little snug dry and a little loose wet).

As far as reaching the knife with either hand, it should not be a problem, because it should be AGAINST the crotch strap, which means that putting it on the right only moves it by 2". If it's farther over than that, it could be a problem to reach... and it would also be responsible for bruises at the top of the left thigh (yes, I've had them).

Spectre:
hand. You mention handedness; which is why I point that out.

How are you supposed to wear shears on a harness? I just recently got a set of shears that came with the webbing style holster. The webbing has a loop at the top that you could slide the belt through. Is that acceptable?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom