Keys trip 2004

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

100days-a-year

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Just returned from the Keys,spent August diving from Big Pine area to the Marquesas.We had a decent year for fish and a great year for bugs.Dove the Busch and got grouper and a freeshaft.Dove the Marquesas and got mutton,grouper and hogfish.Found lobster reaaly heavy this year particularly after Charley drove them to the reef.freedove offshore for
mahi as well.This was my best day this year.

Hey Tony:

Can you give me an idea how you spear fish mahi?
Locating and approaching?
I am spending 2 weeks in the keys on Big Pine Key at the Old Wooden Bridge Fishing Camp. Taking my own 22' Catatamaran "Glacier Bay" set up with all necessary navs. Plan on Spearfishing and lobstering and wreck diving.

Thanks
Wade

Nice Black Tony!! Congrats!

Wade,head directly offshore between 160 and 180 degrees til you start hitting weedlines or see anything in the water like debris from storms or boards.Anything that will attract fish.We will normally be in 400 to 1000 feet of water which is anywhere from 8 to 25 miles from land.I will troll up the weedline heading generally West againt the current.We may stop at several weedlines until fish are spotted.Once fish are spotted ,try to notice what they are oriented on and drop your diver near it.There is no need for tanks as you are basically going to snorkel around til you get a shot.Small fish up to 20# can be subdued easily but bigger fish will need you to either have a float for the diver(a 2' long boat fender)or the gun.The lobster appear to be on the reef in 20' or so on the offshore side of Hawk channel.Good luck

We found this guy wandering around and took him(phree337) spearfishing.This was his 1st mahi.Notice it's bigger than mine,he was real happy about that.He has some bugs he caught at his feet too.

Thanks Tony, I appreciate the info.

WADE

Back
Top Bottom