Oceanic triggerfish in Nova Scotia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverkim

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Did my first dive in Novas Scotia and I was quite pleased. I did a shore dive at a place called Paddy's Head near Peggy's Cove. The water was a bit nippy but I saw lobster, many gunnels, shrimp, crabs, etc.

Best of all I spotted two fish under a ledge on a medium-sized boulder. I was surprised when on closer inspection they turned out to be a pair of triggerfish in Canadian waters.

Have many others seen them here? :11ztongue

diverkim:
I was surprised when on closer inspection they turned out to be a pair of triggerfish in Canadian waters.

Wow! I had no idea that triggers were found in cold water. What colour were they? How big?

diverkim:
Best of all I spotted two fish under a ledge on a medium-sized boulder. I was surprised when on closer inspection they turned out to be a pair of triggerfish in Canadian waters.

Have many others seen them here? :11ztongue

I've never seen a Triggerfish before... I didn't even know what it was, I had to ask my wife. She's seen them down south, but neither of us has seen one here.

Not trying to be a knob..... but are you sure that's what it was..? I'm guessing you've seen one before...?

What was the temp at Paddy's Head..? There's usually a fair abundance of life in there, good spot for pics. That's one of the spots that we generally take our friends when they come out this way to dive. Have you hit any other spots here yet...?

Having dived often in the tropics, I have seen triggerfish from the Caribbean to the Red Sea to the Indo-Pacific. These were dark gray fish with the characteristic teeth and fin arrangement of triggerfish. Each of the pair was about 20-25 cm in length.

I checked with some vetreran divers here and at the dive shop. Apparently the oceanic triggerfish can ride the warmth of the Gulf Stream in to Nova Scotia. My fish guide states that they range as far north as NY.

:profile:

cool....... thanks for the info, I'll keep my eyes open....

Diverkim,
I think I recognise you from the Asia board. I spent a few years over there too.

Back
Top Bottom