Battery Charging on Liveaboards American markets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alijtaylor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi
I am booked on Lammerlaw a liveaboard in Galapagos in November. I have bought a converter plug for battery charging - converting the NZ/Australian style plug to the North American plug but now I note that there are different types - some earthed (with the third round pin) and some 2 pin non-earthed style.

Are charging stations on boats largely serving the North American market generally the earthed 3 pin or non-earther two pin?

If there is no consensus I will contact Lammerlaw or take both converters, but anything I can do to avoid excess stuff is worth doing.

Alison

Almost all American-style outlets are of the 3 pin variety. You usually only find 2 pin outlets in older facilities with corrospondingly older electrical wiring.

Generally, you can use a 2 pin plug in any American-style outlet made to accept either 2 or 3 pins. Often, on a 2 pin plug, one blade is slightly larger than the other to force the proper orientation in the outlet. Obviously, a 3 pin grounded plug only fits in a 3 pin outlet.

Just get an adapter for 2 pin and don't worry about it.

I would say go with the 2 pronged adapted. Like Drew stated most US outlets are three pronged but a 2 prong will work in it. I would try and explain but I would probably confuse you more.

Also get a power strip. I always travel with at least one. Then you only need adaptors for the power strip and can charge multiple devices at once.

Mark

alijtaylor:
Hi
I am booked on Lammerlaw a liveaboard in Galapagos in November. I have bought a converter plug for battery charging - converting the NZ/Australian style plug to the North American plug but now I note that there are different types - some earthed (with the third round pin) and some 2 pin non-earthed style.

Firstly make sure you have the right power requirements for the boat. Some boats only have 100V power (US/NA), some only 220-240V (pretty much everywhere else) and some have both. Most of the higher end boats have both.

This is a usual question asked by the majority of passengers on a liveaboard, so it is best to ask the dive operation directly for an exact answer.

Personally I only buy devices that support both power types (laptops, battery chargers, image banks, etc) and then I buy a few of the multiple plug adapters which allow any in/any out. This is the one I currently use - http://www.thomas-distributing.com/ic-169301.htm. It converts any 2 or 3 prong plug to pretty much any 2 or 3 outlet worldwide. There are plenty of others available out there - this one has proven reliable for me (I have used this particular plug adapter in 16 countries and counting).

Most devices have the power ratings written on the device or the device powers supply it self - you should be looking for a line which reads 'INPUT: 100-240 V~ 50-60HZ' or something very similar. If you don't see this assume the device only supports local power in the country you bought it.

Hope this helps,
M

Thanks everyone, a lot of good info.
Alison

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom