Fogging Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nooreck

Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone help me out on the problem I have with my housing, it seems like evry time I hit thermacline the lens from inside starts to fog up.

I have dryed the housing carefully making sure there is no moisture inside and always kept it in a Ac'd environment before setting the camcorder inside just to make sure I don't trap any humidity ( at least minimizing it as much as I could )

So I found this product called moisture muncher and I hope this will help as per suggestions I got from another source.....but perhaps there is someone that could help me more...

The housing is made out of heavy acrylic type material looks like plexy but much thiker and the lens is made of class .... I am 100% sure there is no leaks in the housing.....

I was also informed that when the camera starts to roll the motor inside producess heat and that what triggers the evaporation from the allready trapped air....

Anyhow I would really appreciate some help on this problem and thanks ahead for anyone that replies....

If your keeping the unit in an AC'd room.... is the temp inside cooler or warmer from the area you'll be using the unit....

Use a hair dryer....resort rooms usually have them.... throughly dry the unit...both housing and camera.... load after drying, and use "dry packs" inside the housing...

Murph'

Nooreck:
Can anyone help me out on the problem I have with my housing, it seems like evry time I hit thermacline the lens from inside starts to fog up.

I have dryed the housing carefully making sure there is no moisture inside and always kept it in a Ac'd environment before setting the camcorder inside just to make sure I don't trap any humidity ( at least minimizing it as much as I could )

So I found this product called moisture muncher and I hope this will help as per suggestions I got from another source.....but perhaps there is someone that could help me more...

The housing is made out of heavy acrylic type material looks like plexy but much thiker and the lens is made of class .... I am 100% sure there is no leaks in the housing.....

I was also informed that when the camera starts to roll the motor inside producess heat and that what triggers the evaporation from the allready trapped air....

Anyhow I would really appreciate some help on this problem and thanks ahead for anyone that replies....

You have to use some form of desiccant inside the housing. The moisture munchers you have are probably just that. Keep in mind that the desiccant needs to be re-charged.
The loose re-chargeable type that can be purchased at Preservesmart.com
is blue in color. When it turns pink it needs to be re-charged. That can be accomplished in a microwave or toaster oven.

I use it in cut-off pieces of nylon stocking. That way you can control the amount you need to fit in the appropriate space(s) in your housing.

I also suggest you use some cut-off pieces of a feminine mini pad to absorb any moisture which could come from a small leak.

Desiccant absorbs condensation but not liquid.
Mini pads absorb liquid but not condensation.

Nooreck:

If I can help it, I never keep my cameras or housings in the AC. If I have to, I take them outside early in the morning and let them warm up and the fog clear before locking them into the housing.

Curt Bowen:
If I can help it, I never keep my cameras or housings in the AC. If I have to, I take them outside early in the morning and let them warm up and the fog clear before locking them into the housing.

Hmm that would work only if you hit nice warm waters, on the other hand our temps varies from 4-10 degrees (42-62 ) I guess a.d usually when the unit gets warmer the worst it gets but I will try this anyhow any good help is always appreciated......thanks

and the desicants are in the moisture munchers and I am aware of recharging them although I'll look in to making my own if these won't work.....

So do you guys treat the lens with anything ????

I will try this set up next weekend, so far all my videos were bunch of blur......

thanks everyone

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom