Zoom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am relatively new to underwater photography. I do not yet have a digital underwater camera.

I have a question:
Do you get much use out the zoom features of the camera underwater? Or do you pretty much just leave it in the unzoomed position?

I suppose that the more you zoom the more light you would need.

Thanks,
-Mike

The first rule of underwater photography is: get close. The second rule is: if you think you're close enough, get closer. The more water you have between you and the subject, the more strobe you will need. Zoom is, for the most part, useless underwater. There are a couple of exceptions, using a macro lens adapater and once in a while with small skittish critters.

I'll have to disagree with jlyle. I think digital zoom is worthless underwater but not optical zoom.
I use my optical zoom on almost all my shots whether they are macro or not.
Sometimes it is necessary to back away from a macro shot subject so that the external strobe can cover it properly. I would then use the zoom to make up the distance.
Many, if not most fish, won't let you get very close to them.
I get as close to them as possible so that I am within strobe range but I then use zoom to bring them in closer for the photo.

2 replies, 2 opinions, we need a tie breaker here!
-Mike

I'll break it....I agree with Gilligan. I frequently use the optical zoom, sometime you just have to to get the shot. You still have the same amount of water between you and the subject, it just doesn't look like it. So you'll still have to be careful of the amount of particulate in the water, etc. that will effect your photo. The oom doesn't solve all your problems!

I also agree with Gilligan. I own a C750 10x optical zoom. I use it to get close to Fish.

No, I go the other way, in 3000+ UW shots I've used the zoom once for Garden Eels in Bonaire. Get close, then closer if the critter flys find one that does not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom