Newbie question:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi all,

It'll be my first time , and I will be diving in the Gold Coast , Australia. Recommend any good outfits? Anyone ever heard of Blue Juice Diving? I inquired, and they were quick to respond (good sign); package was a 6 day a. open water + b. advanced open water license for 850AUD.
a. Is that a decent price?
b. Do you think I really need the Advanced license. I'm extremely excited and anticipate this as a new passion since I love marine sports.
c. Any recommendations/advice/info. re: companies to dive with in GC i.e. would be greatly appreciated!
I'll be in the Gold Coast between the 22nd and 29th if anyone wants to join me. I'm headin' out solo. Know any decent hotels?

Arigatou,

Bryan in Tokyo

Bryan in Tokyo:
It'll be my first time , and I will be diving in the Gold Coast , Australia. Recommend any good outfits? Anyone ever heard of Blue Juice Diving? I inquired, and they were quick to respond (good sign); package was a 6 day a. open water + b. advanced open water license for 850AUD.
a. Is that a decent price?

For Qn (a) I think it's ok only. But I believe there should be better rates around. Anyway I did my Basic and Advance OW for a combined price (in S'pore,not Aust though) for about 700 AUD...

Beth2:
For Qn (a) I think it's ok only. But I believe there should be better rates around. Anyway I did my Basic and Advance OW for a combined price (in S'pore,not Aust though) for about 700 AUD...

If time isn't too much an issue I understand that Salty's Dive school based in Bundaberg (much further north from the Gold Coast) is exceptionally cheap - around 500-something AUD. I believe this includes a 3day/night liveaboard for the students to complete their OW course. I was on the liveaboard as a certified bod so can't be sure exactly of the cost.

The students were damn lucky.....clear water and a fair few manta rays, white tips and stuff.....the buggers!

alc16:
If time isn't too much an issue I understand that Salty's Dive school based in Bundaberg (much further north from the Gold Coast) is exceptionally cheap - around 500-something AUD. I believe this includes a 3day/night liveaboard for the students to complete their OW course. I was on the liveaboard as a certified bod so can't be sure exactly of the cost.

The students were damn lucky.....clear water and a fair few manta rays, white tips and stuff.....the buggers!

That's dirt cheap!
Lucky them too! :glassez:
But anyway what you see while diving is mostly about luck.....

package was a 6 day a. open water + b. advanced open water license for 850AUD.

Six days for both Open Water and Advanced courses?? This seems fast to me, but it can be done & done well in the right circumstances. Yes, you'll have both certs, no, the average person won't be very good unless this is a really small course or has several staff so each student gets lots of individual time to actually practice (versus hanging out while each other student practices). I'm guessing four for the OW and 2 for the AOW...just be sure to ask enough questions so you are comfortable with this style & time frame.

Cost is not only monetary. The training you receive will be a large factor to how much you enjoy your dives (the better you are at your skills, especially buoyancy, the better off you will be) and how good/safe a diver you become. more confined water time (pool) is better IMO...these are new skills and they take practice, no matter how excited you are (and you will be, I'm sure!!) Being able to squek through isn't really good enough...ask questions and go with someone you feel comfortable with, not just who has the lowest price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom