Need opinions on camera for my daughter.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whitelightnin

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
First, I want to let you know how much I know about photography.

O.K. that didn't take too long.

Now,I am planning on getting a camera for my daughter soon & was looking at the Sealife Reefmaster DC310 Digital MAXX. If any of you have opinions or suggestions, please post them.

Thanks

James

Whitelightnin:
First, I want to let you know how much I know about photography.

O.K. that didn't take too long.

Now,I am planning on getting a camera for my daughter soon & was looking at the Sealife Reefmaster DC310 Digital MAXX. If any of you have opinions or suggestions, please post them.

Thanks

James

Can you give more details on what that camera is going to be used for. What kind of diving? Land use? price range? etc?
There are many camera's I think are far superior to the DC310, but with a better idea of what your daughter wants to use it for we can give a more narrowed down version of the better options.

lukeROB:
Can you give more details on what that camera is going to be used for. What kind of diving? Land use? price range? etc?
There are many camera's I think are far superior to the DC310, but with a better idea of what your daughter wants to use it for we can give a more narrowed down version of the better options.

We are planning a trip to Cozumel in January & she wants a camera to take with us. She won't be doing anything to difficult & probally just taking pictures of the "pretty fish". She might take a few pics on land but I'm not sure just how much. I would like to get a digital. Price needs to be under 700.
Our local diving doesn't have much in the way of photo opportunities. Vis is usually around 8-10 feet.

Thanks

James

Whitelightnin:
We are planning a trip to Cozumel in January & she wants a camera to take with us. She won't be doing anything to difficult & probally just taking pictures of the "pretty fish". She might take a few pics on land but I'm not sure just how much. I would like to get a digital. Price needs to be under 700.
Our local diving doesn't have much in the way of photo opportunities. Vis is usually around 8-10 feet.

Thanks

James

You can get very good pics in low vis - just get close. Take a look at some of chippy's photos. I have still managed some pretty good pic in less than 4 ft vis.

For under 700 you can get some good packages. For around US $500 you should be able to pick up the Canon A85 plus underwater housing. This is a very combination and just the new version of the camera I am using. This camera is far far superior to the Sealife range and is an excellent land camera as well. It will allow your daughter to grow if she starts taking a greater interest in photography, but is simple enough to just point and shoot. I believe the canon's in this price range are the best buys.

I agree with Rob....the Canon's are excellent cameras at great prices. It's a far better choice than the DC310 and will give your daughter a real feel for digital photography. As Rob said, she can use it as a simple point and shoot but if she developes the interest (some say addiction) we all have, it will let her expand her knowledge base.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom