Sea & Sea YS25 Strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba65

Contributor
Reaction score
:06: anyone here use a Ys25 strobe? if so, do you like it and is it worth buying? i'm looking to get a strobe, and i can get a YS25 really cheap, but I've heard that they are not that great, not worth the money. any input would be helpful in deciding if i should get one. I'm going to use it with a canon A70.

I don't have one but I keep reading that the YS25 isn't powerful enough. I'd look at the YS90DX or an Inon D-180

Thanks. that's what i've heard, but i just want to make sure.

I have one. It works OK, I have not actually used any other strobe though.
I do think that it lacks power under some circumstances, e.g. at night (have to use full power all the time), and with a wide angle lens attached.

However, I also know someone else who has one, and they often have trouble with overexposure. My camera is an old Sony P9, they have a much newer olympus MJU400, so maybe more to do with the cameras than the strobes.

Bottom line is the strobe has improved my pictures by a large amount.
A few recent ones are in my gallery thingy.

I have a YS 25 and like it. It has flash setting (1 thru 7) and provides enough illumination for the pictures I take (mostly close ups and macro) using settings 1 thru 2. The only down side is the length of the standard strobe arm. Its a little short but there is an adaptor that will lengthen the arm by 4 inches. All the buttons and knobs are easy to work with 5 mm gloves.

The YS25 works off an optical cable. Unless your A70 housing has the socket to fit the cable you will have to purchase the black velcro adaptor to trigger the strobe. This will hide the flash on the camera so it will not be usable with the strobe. Dont forget to get the optical cable with the strobe. The strobe is capable of being used as a un-connected slave but backscatter from the camera flash will make you un-happy. Also make sure the fiber optic cable is not broken. The only way I know of being sure it is not broken is to attach it to a camera and see if it fires.

I am assuming that you know about having a tray and an arm that fits the strobe and camera.

Well, thank you all for that info. I think i'm going with the YS90 Auto just to be safe.

I personally have two of my entry level rental set ups using the 25's. They arent too bad for point and shoot cameras, however, they do not put out enough light for wideangle shots, and they do not give you the versatility of the larger strobes. All of my customers have opted to go with the 90DX or the D180 and have been happy in doing so.

Using an Inon adapter to your Canon housing allows you to use a wide angle lens, which will require more lighting for proper coverage. I would consider going with the YS 90DX or the D180. Both are excellent strobes, and, should you decide to get any accessories for your camera, or upgrade at a later date, you will not have to reinvest in a new strobe, your current strobe would still be ideal.

Email me with any questions you might have and I will be happy to help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom