Best LDS for buying wetsuit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jenazah

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I need to buy a new wetsuit pronto. Which LDS in LA/OC area carry the biggest wetsuit selection ? The problem is that I'm a stocky guy, so I need an Extra Large Short wetsuit. I know that Bare has XLS size available, I just couldn't find it in store anywhere. Most LDS that I visited only carry one or 2 brands.

If you're in OC and have a difficult to fit frame, don't go to an LDS for a wetsuit. Call New Wave instead - 714-870-9517. I think their toll-free # is 888-699-7848. They're a Mom and Daughter shop that makes custom wetsuits for comparable or even less than off the rack suits. They are by appointment only, and the only trouble with them is that they are only there during weekday mornings. But, they're great quality and they stand behind their work - will repair any problems, and are very fast! Mine, with a custom hood, was right ariund $200 and took less than a week for them to make after they measured me. That was without a rush - I'm sure they could work faster if you needed them to. You can't beat them!

I agree, call Lisa at New Wave. They made custom 7mm suits for both of my daughters. Took about a week, and it was less than $300 for both.
On the other hand, I bought an off-the-rack 7mm from Pacific Wilderness for $99. It fits great, but I probably just got lucky.

Try Sea d Sea in Redondo, 310-373-6355. I know they care Bare, call and see if they have your size. I own a Body Glove X2 one piece and I love it. I think they go for $260.00. They probably have your size @ Dive N Surf, 310-372-8423.

Roland

jenazah:
I need to buy a new wetsuit pronto. Which LDS in LA/OC area carry the biggest wetsuit selection ? The problem is that I'm a stocky guy, so I need an Extra Large Short wetsuit. I know that Bare has XLS size available, I just couldn't find it in store anywhere. Most LDS that I visited only carry one or 2 brands.

I got a great deal on a wetsuit from Hollywood Divers in Hollywood. I tried on so many wetsuits in one day, that I wound up with a blister on one finger of each hand! I ended up with a one piece Henderson Hyperstretch. I've got to say that it's definitely one of the most comfortable suits I've ever put on.

If I were buying a custom suit, I would buy a farmer john from M & B Wetsuits in Long Beach. Don has been making suits since the early '60s and he is an absolute artist. I've got an aunt who owns a safety consulting firm next door to him. He makes most of his suits for commercial divers. He'll combine a nitrogen blown neoprene for the body to give you warmth with a stretchier neoprene for the arms and legs to make it easier to get in and out of. Keep in mind that not all neoprene is created equal! You can get a completely custom semi-dry suit from him for about $500. Dr. Bill on Catalina has one of these custom suits. I think it's lasted him for about 14 years with an occasional "repair".

Here's the info for the two I mentioned above:

Hollywood Divers
3575 Cahuenga Blvd. West #104
Hollywood, CA 90068
(323) 969-9875 or (818) 990-2279

M & B Wetsuit Designs
4414 Village Road
Long Beach, CA 90808
(562) 422-3493

Spend a day checking out all of the places that people recommend here and try on everything that's not custom. Oh yeah, if you do this, drink lots of water! :wink:

Hope you find what you're looking for. Let us know what you wind up doing.

Christian

Thank You for all of your input. I'll check out Hollywood Divers first, since I work in Burbank.

headhunter:
I got a great deal on a wetsuit from Hollywood Divers in Hollywood. I tried on so many wetsuits in one day, that I wound up with a blister on one finger of each hand! I ended up with a one piece Henderson Hyperstretch. I've got to say that it's definitely one of the most comfortable suits I've ever put on.

If I were buying a custom suit, I would buy a farmer john from M & B Wetsuits in Long Beach. Don has been making suits since the early '60s and he is an absolute artist. I've got an aunt who owns a safety consulting firm next door to him. He makes most of his suits for commercial divers. He'll combine a nitrogen blown neoprene for the body to give you warmth with a stretchier neoprene for the arms and legs to make it easier to get in and out of. Keep in mind that not all neoprene is created equal! You can get a completely custom semi-dry suit from him for about $500. Dr. Bill on Catalina has one of these custom suits. I think it's lasted him for about 14 years with an occasional "repair".

Here's the info for the two I mentioned above:

Hollywood Divers
3575 Cahuenga Blvd. West #104
Hollywood, CA 90068
(323) 969-9875 or (818) 990-2279

M & B Wetsuit Designs
4414 Village Road
Long Beach, CA 90808
(562) 422-3493

Spend a day checking out all of the places that people recommend here and try on everything that's not custom. Oh yeah, if you do this, drink lots of water! :wink:

Hope you find what you're looking for. Let us know what you wind up doing.

Christian

jenazah:
Thank You for all of your input. I'll check out Hollywood Divers first, since I work in Burbank.
I definitely 3rd the motion for Lisa and Mom at New Wave. I just had a 7mm custom titanium made for $210. Cant beat the quality and they do stand behind their product. They even altered a few spots while I waited! So if you don't find what you are looking for at Hollywood Divers, New Wave is worth the drive.

jenazah:
PS...I work across the street from M&B Wetsuits in Long Beach. Definitely top of the class wetsuits if you are in that price range. I was amazed at the quality which definitely lends itself to the commercial divers. good luck!

Sea d Sea is the only store I've seen that appears to stock all the sizes of the Bare Arctic suit. I was actually able to try on a MLS, ML and a LS to see the differences in the cut.

There is also a dive shop out here about 20 minutes from burbank. They have a pretty good selection of suits but call them first to make sure. The dive shop is called Aloha Dive located in Northridge. I bought all my gear from there and like the shop a lot never had any issues.

Ana

Back
Top Bottom