Got the new homemade tray finished

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
setup2.jpg

This is my latest homemade tray. It's made from a single piece of aluminum that supports two lens docks as well as the strobe/arm. The housing is positioned on the tray so that I can reach the shutter and zoom controls with my right hand in the event I need my left hand free.
I got the idea for this tray from one made by Bart de Ridder on DigialDiver.Net

Just a couple questions from a naked Pt-015 user:

How is the clearance for opening the housing? Does yours open like the PT-015?

What do you use the eyebolt for?

Looks very efficient. What did you use to pad the handles?

SeaYoda:
How is the clearance for opening the housing? Does yours open like the PT-015?
I believe it opens the same way. Clearance doesn't matter on the way I designed it. I have a plate attached to the tray that is made of cutting board material. It butts up against the feet on the bottom of the housing and it prevents the housing from turning on the tray. The feet are outside the plate so it does not interfere with the door on the housing.
traybottom.jpg

What do you use the eyebolt for?
I use it to hang the setup off my kayak on a leash attached to the kayak.

Dee:
Looks very efficient. What did you use to pad the handles?
The handles are molding or trim for boats. I bought them in 8" pieces at a boat dealer. They already had two holes pre-drilled and countersunk in each one. I had to cut them to length and also cut a lip off one side. They are 1 & 1/2" wide and so is the aluminum. Only thing I don't like about them is they are a little on the heavy side. I used only 1 handle on the right side so I could still reach the shutter and zoom controls.

Very nice set up you got there. looks pretty efficent that way, and easy to hold.

Cool design...

I am also looking at making my own tray and am still hunting for designs (not a hellova lot out there). I don't have a strobe but just want something to make the camera and housing easier to handle. I like the look of bart's original design, but I thought of making it a one piece design....

Has anyone got any other ideas?

Gilligan,

Excellent design and workmanship. As a "designer" I can appreciate a nice design. Very good.

I made custom strobe brackets for above water photography years ago, incorporating a flip bracket and adjustable angles, but that was using much heavier aluminum. If you ever want some 1.25 inch wide 1/4 inch thick aluminum bar, call me. --*laughing*--

Thanks for sharing your design. I wonder how long before we see commercial versions for sale out there.

Wristshot

Back
Top Bottom