How do you use a hand-spear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zoe83

Contributor
Reaction score
I bought a hand-spear i think its called, the one on the pole with the rubber loop on the handle, for my boyfriend, and he doesnt know how to use it lol, can anyone give me any tips? also what kind of environments have the most fish/lobsters? near rocks etc?

Rubberband goes between his thumb and pointer finger, then he'll stretch the band up to the business end of the spear and hold it tight with the same hand that has the band latched. When he loosens his grip, then tension from the band being stretched the length of the shaft will propel the spear forward.

Using polespears are an excellent way to get used to judging distance underwater. Keep in mind you won't have much of a range, only about the length of the shaft. I've been using a polespear for about 6 months and have brought back lots of flounder as well as a few free-swimming fish. Heres a link to some pics of a few of my catches using a polespear http://www.suprbugman.com/gallery/album10

Hmmmm...I always thought you'd hold the pole spear like a slingshot, kinda. One hand on the rubber while the other hand pulling the spear back and ready to release. Thanks for the explanation, and nice fishes in your gallery. I'm jealous of the fresh fishes.

Happy hunting

Thanks for the info, we were pretty hopeless when he tried, i knew the rubber had to be tightened to propel it forward, but i had no idea how! lol i was standing on the shore yelling to him 'catch me a lobster!' the encouragement didnt help, he had no idea how lol! probably didnt help that the water had low visibility..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom