Where in Utila?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jetblast00

Contributor
Reaction score
I've tried to do a bit of searching for where might be the best place to dive/stay in Utila, but everything I come up with pretty much has to do with people taking courses or doing a DM down there. That's not me though.
I'm going to be heading down early may-ish and just to go diving, I don't care about courses this trip.

What shops can people recommend just on the basis of good boats, good DM's, and/or good dive packages (I'm going to be there for a week or two, and want to get as much diving in as possible)?

Also, where are good places to stay? I pretty much travel with a backpack and no rigid agenda, so backpacker places usually have the cost/amenities balance I'm looking for.

I've got a couple of places in mind, but any input or ideas from you guys would really be appreciated. Thanks alot in advance! :D

having worked and lived in utila up until last may, i can give you some insight.
bay island college of diving has the best boats by far, dive packages are pretty much standard around the island. as for the best place to stay there is lots of places that come to mind. hotel utila, tropical hotel are 2 that are close to b.i.c.d. and have rooms starting at about $6usd per night.
great diving a hard place to leave.

Utilia is an islan area off the north east coast of Honduras. I found these links VERY informative when researching the area:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/destinations/central_america/honduras/

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/mapshells/central_america/honduras/honduras.htm

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/destinations/central_america/honduras/attractions.htm

Bay Islands**
Roatán, Guanaja and Utila - 50km (31mi) off the north coast of Honduras - are a continuation of the Belizean reefs and offer great snorkeling and diving. The islands' economy is based mostly on fishing, but tourism is becoming increasingly important. Utila retains low-key tourist facilities, while Roatán is gradually joining Guanaja as a more upmarket retreat. Most travelers head to West End on Roatán, but Utila is the cheapest of the three islands to visit. Whichever island you visit, make sure you bring plenty of insect repellent, because the sand flies are voracious, especially during the rainy season.

The islands have an interesting history, including evidence of Maya occupation. Columbus landed on Guanaja in 1502, but the Spanish later enslaved the islanders and sent them to work on plantations in Cuba and in the gold and silver mines of Mexico. By 1528, the islands were completely depopulated. English, French and Dutch pirates then occupied the islands, followed by the Garífuna, who were shipped here by the British after an uprising on St Vincent. The islands, in many ways, still look more toward England and the US than to the Honduran mainland, and a richly Caribbean version of English is the main language.

**Info lifted from Lonelyplanet.com

PS. Pay very carefull attention to the Traveler Warnings about the area.

SpyderTek

(EDIT: Ooops sory I read the thread wrong. I read "Where IS Utila" not "where IN utila" so my information isnt realtive to the thread. Sorry)

Originally posted by SpyderTek
(EDIT: Ooops sory I read the thread wrong. I read "Where IS Utila" not "where IN utila" so my information isnt realtive to the thread. Sorry)

That's ok :D
Thanks anyway! It actually will be a help knowing where I'm going too though!

Back
Top Bottom