suunto mosquito or stinger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are practically the same. The only difference is the housing is better on the Stinger. It's made of SS while the mosquito is plastic. I think the only other difference (besides price) is that the stinger can be used in gauge mode while the mosquito can't. I have a stinger and love it but the mosquito is a great computer as well.

AtlanticDiver:
Im looking at a mosquito and the stinger and need some advice. thanks

I use the mosquito. If I were to buy again, I would buy the Stinger. The mosquito is a good computer, but I do believe it is a one-gas computer while the Stinger is a multi-gas computer (I think). The Stinger also has more options, such as being able to display your gas supply with a hoseless transmitter.

I bought my Mosquito before the Stinger existed. I wish I waited.

MB104:
I use the mosquito. If I were to buy again, I would buy the Stinger. The mosquito is a good computer, but I do believe it is a one-gas computer while the Stinger is a multi-gas computer (I think). The Stinger also has more options, such as being able to display your gas supply with a hoseless transmitter.

I bought my Mosquito before the Stinger existed. I wish I waited.

Actually, the only difference between the Stinger and the Mosquito is the casing and the crystal (the Stinger has a Mineral glass crystal instead of a plastic one).

The guts inside the casing are exactly the same. (with the exception of gauge mode....the Stinger has it and the Mosquito doesn't).

The one you're thinking of is the Vytec....it's a wrist computer with hoseless air intergration and you can switch gasses during the dive.

If you go to Suunto's web site, you can compare the features of any of their products.

Oh and FWIW.....I have a Mosquito....I didn't need a nicer casing or crystal.....just a nice computer.....and I don't really trust hoseless AI computers....but that's just me :)

Peace,
Cathie

The sampling rate on the stinger is also changable via the PC software, although there's a post here somewhere about someone doing that with their mosquito (I haven't been able to with mine)
I think it comes down to $ and "style"
I have the mosquito and love it. When working on the boat I guess I'm a little less worried when if the plastic case gets a scratch vs. the beautiful metal Stinger. Also I can change the battery on the Mosquito, the Stinger has to be sent back.
But if you want the best looking one on your wrist the Stinger is pretty sweet.
Oh, the mosquito comes in grey, black and yellow, my wife's mosquito is in yellow and it looks pretty cool (mine's black).

chris

The Stinger and Mosquito have the exact functionality. They both can be used in air/guage and EAN mode from 36-50%. I read someone's post that said that Stinger can do multi gas, that is incorrect. The one major advantage to the Mosquito over the Stinger is that the Mosquito has a user changable battery and stinger does not. The advantage to Stinger over Mosquito is the durrability. Besides the Stinger having either steel or titanium casing, Stinger also has a scratch resistent mineral crystal display while mosquito has a plastic display. As a Stinger user, trust me... the mineral crystal is awesome. I have beat the heck out of mine, and I dont have a single nick on the display glass.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom