Speargun "wishbone" question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mahjong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a Scubapro Panther series composite speargun (same as the Bandito Prowler). It is in mint condition. I just purchased new slings, of which it takes two. I bought the appropriate length and diameter slings (14" x 1/2"), made by JBL. Here's the only problem: The steel wishbone on the slings is slightly too thick in diameter to seat "all the way" into the grooves on the spear shaft. The wishbone definitely goes into the groove far enough to comfortably grab the shaft, but it does not seat all the way into the groove. Will this affect the accuracy and/or power of the shot at all?

Many thanks for any thoughts.

The tension on the wishbone while inside the groove is causing it to be "wedged" into the groove. It will affect the velocity of the shaft to some degree and possibly the accuracy......at any rate they are not compatible.

Regards,

mahjong:
Here's the only problem: The steel wishbone on the slings is slightly too thick in diameter to seat "all the way" into the grooves on the spear shaft. The wishbone definitely goes into the groove far enough to comfortably grab the shaft, but it does not seat all the way into the groove. Will this affect the accuracy and/or power of the shot at all?

Many thanks for any thoughts.

option1:
Buy the correct bands. If fresh SP bands are not readily avialable locally similar length/diameter bands with "soft" 'bones are available from Spearfishing Specialties. http://www.slinginsteel.com/

Be aware that the SP trigger system is not well suited for "upgrading" bands to a significantly higher power level.

option 2:
Replace wishbones with dacron or SST cable 'bones. this is possible but getting the hog rings off without damaging the banding is tricky unless you've done it a few times.

Option 3:
Modify the shaft groove. Several folks I know take a Dremel or small rat tail file to the groove on all their shafts to ensure a good 'bone fit to the shaft groove without stress riser points. This will also assure a clean release. They think it makes a performance difference even with the "correct" bnds and 'bones.

Option 4:
Modify the wishbones you have. A few "light taps" with a 3 pound maul and an anvil will "flatten" the engagement portion of the 'bone you have to fit the groove. Provided you don't go completely nuts and just whail away on it you should be able to complete the reforming without significantly weakening the 'bone. Be aware that you shold wear gloves when using ANY modified hard 'bone. Those sharp ends sliding through the fingers if the 'bone breaks while loading is not only quite painful, it often ends the dive day.

FT

Thanks for these helpful replies. I am still having trouble finding small-ball bones--the supplier who told me he was getting them from Bandito sent me Tridents, which are wierd (90 degree angle bones) and the ball is, like the JBLs, too thick.

I do have the original wishbones that fit very nicely in the grooves. I could buy my own latex rubbers and fit them onto the wishbones with no problem; however, I don't know to get those "hog rings" on. Any tips? Does heating the latex slightly help (without hurting the latex)? Do you use any tools to help?

Thanks again.

Mahjong

FredT:
option1:
Buy the correct bands. If fresh SP bands are not readily avialable locally similar length/diameter bands with "soft" 'bones are available from Spearfishing Specialties. http://www.slinginsteel.com/

Be aware that the SP trigger system is not well suited for "upgrading" bands to a significantly higher power level.

option 2:
Replace wishbones with dacron or SST cable 'bones. this is possible but getting the hog rings off without damaging the banding is tricky unless you've done it a few times.

Option 3:
Modify the shaft groove. Several folks I know take a Dremel or small rat tail file to the groove on all their shafts to ensure a good 'bone fit to the shaft groove without stress riser points. This will also assure a clean release. They think it makes a performance difference even with the "correct" bnds and 'bones.

Option 4:
Modify the wishbones you have. A few "light taps" with a 3 pound maul and an anvil will "flatten" the engagement portion of the 'bone you have to fit the groove. Provided you don't go completely nuts and just whail away on it you should be able to complete the reforming without significantly weakening the 'bone. Be aware that you shold wear gloves when using ANY modified hard 'bone. Those sharp ends sliding through the fingers if the 'bone breaks while loading is not only quite painful, it often ends the dive day.

FT

A modified vise and modified pair of pliers helps, but the easiest way is simply not to use them. I tie mine with 2 wraps of SST safety tie wire. My rigs do not have a slot to load new bands, so I assemble the bands on the guns. Hog rings are fast once you have the tools set-up, but a PITA otherwise. The wire or thread tie method allows you to repair the bands on the boat. I've even seen zip ties used with some success.

If you want to use waxed dacron or kevlar thread instead do a search for "band" on Spearboard.com. not only are there several threads with descriptions of how to do it, it should be easy to find a link to a video on how to do it.

FT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom