Fitting/adjusting a new BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IslandHopper

Reaction score
I recently bought a 30# Eclipse with SS plate. This is my First BP/W.

Getting things adjusted was pretty straight-forward and was started in the shop where I bought it. This morning I got to dive with it for the first time.

With the upper tank-band right at the break of the tank, I still find myself hitting my head on the 1st stage pretty frequently. Since I can't move the tank down any further, will loosening the shoulder straps a bit cause the entire rig to ride a little lower ? (I'll still have no problem reaching valves.)

I'll also eMail this question to the guy I bought it from, but this might get a quicker response, since he's 10 time-zones away :) .

http://www.baue.org/faq/index.html
both text with links and text with inline images. I know nothing else about it, but used that and it works well for me. I found it was easy to think you had it the right size but it was too loose once you are in the water, and swings around so some further adjustment might be necessary after you dive with it a few times

IslandHopper:
I've read both links previously ... neither one happens to answer my question.

usually when in horizontal trim position, I find that the back of my head will be against the 1st stage / manifold, with back arched and looking forward. I think its quite normal

Are you using a single tank adapter?
If you're mounting the tank directly against the BP then it will be considerably closer to the back of your head than it would if you were using an STA.

IslandHopper: IME, no. It will just cause the rig to feel very sloppy under water.

IslandHopper:
I recently bought a 30# Eclipse with SS plate. This is my First BP/W.

Getting things adjusted was pretty straight-forward and was started in the shop where I bought it. This morning I got to dive with it for the first time.

With the upper tank-band right at the break of the tank, I still find myself hitting my head on the 1st stage pretty frequently. Since I can't move the tank down any further, will loosening the shoulder straps a bit cause the entire rig to ride a little lower ? (I'll still have no problem reaching valves.)

I'll also eMail this question to the guy I bought it from, but this might get a quicker response, since he's 10 time-zones away :) .

Loostening the straps a bit will drop the plate - but it also drops the plate AWAY from your back... to standing, it may seem to do the trick, but when UW, it really won't.

I'm not a big guy (5'7 - 167) and I dive with the e8-130 waterheater, and an Eclipse with no STA.

If I'm not paying attention, and don't keep a mild arch, I can feel the valve at the back of my dome. There are times when have snapped my head back to look at something, and *bonk* on the valve. But when diving normally, its not an issue. BTW - my top tank band is several inches down from the break at the top of the tank. Several.

If you have the plate in the right place (can reach over the top, around the back, rings at fingertips, etc...) then you may want to consider an STA.

K

Mo2vation:
I'm not a big guy (5'7 - 167) and I dive with the e8-130 waterheater, and an Eclipse with no STA.

Kinda curious.....did you cut slots in the wing for the cam bands to go through since the eclipse has no provisions for cam straps to go through the wing? Does the tank shift on the BP spine at all with no type of STA?

As far as loosening the straps i agree with everyone else. It will produce the desired effect on land but will probably feel sloppy and shifty underwater.

Do you use a DIN valve? Those cut an inch or so off the whole program.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom