How about a nice dive in the Victoria Sewer!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yuck, I've been aware of that situation and I scold all my canadian friends from victoria every time they get leafy on me and start talking about the us in those 'holier than thou' type tones, only to get sheepish grins and 'well you guys deserve it anyways' answers from them. maybe we can hope for an el nino current to send it back up to them, or we can build a big catapult and sling our own dung across the border at them till they start behaving!

Uncle Pug:
"Victoria continues to dump more than 34 billion liters of untreated sewage into the Strait of Juan de Fuca each year."

I'm beginning to wonder if I even want to run my boat past there anymore! Well, I guess there is always FSR.
There's a big movement over here in Victoria to do something about this problem too. People have been complaining about this for years, but the city believes the scientists that tell them it's not a hazard. I'm not worried about the coliform bacteria, but all the PCBs, and other toxins that get flushed down the drain as well. I don't know if even a treatment plant would solve this.

s****enstein:
....snip.... but the city believes the scientists that tell them it's not a hazard. ....snip.....

Even scientists can be paid to tell you exactly what you want to hear.... It's a disgrace and has been for years.

The haven't listened to aguments for years so maybe it's time to raise the stakes..... How do you think the city of Victoria would respond if hundreds or even thousands of people dumped a bucket full of human waste on the steps of city hall? I bet you'd only need to do it once to get the press so horny about the story that the city would sort it out once and for all just to save face..... Get organised and take action. We all know that moaning does no good. The Candian government at all levels hears only civil disobedience. It's the only thing they understand and respond to.

I'd bet if you went to Greenpeace with this idea that they'd even help you to get it organised.

R..

Uhm, its not a problem? I'd like to see those same scientists and beaurocrats go take a swim right in front of the sewage dump site. Since when is untreated excrement not harmful to organisms? I'm sure the wildlife would have a different opinion, but then again they're not getting compensation from special interests.

s****enstein:
the city believes the scientists that tell them it's not a hazard.

Diver0001:
Even scientists can be paid to tell you exactly what you want to hear.... It's a disgrace and has been for years.

I'd bet if you went to Greenpeace with this idea that they'd even help you to get it organised.

R..
Scientists in all fields.
Some of the ones I went to school with and took classes from had the same attitudes about money as a majority of the MBA candidates I went to school with had.
"If they'll pay for it, sell it. Ethics and morality are words in the dictionary."

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom