Housed EOS 650, experiences/opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Sky Dave:
Howdy,

Would appreciate any experiences or opinions with Canon's EOS 650.

Thanks

NO idea about the housing... but the 650 was Canon's first attempt at the EOS line with the new EF (electronic) mount. All the current (modern) lenses should work fine - but you may not be able to use IS (Image Stable) feature on lenses that have it. Also, you cannot take advantage of the EX (E-TTL) line of flashes as the 650 uses the older EZ (A-TTL) version. In practice, you probably wont find much difference between flash versions though. You may even use a manual flash, in which case it dosent matter.

I *believe* it's only got 1 AF point, but it's a cross sensor with lenses faster than f2.8 which means the AF shouldnt be too bad.

It was made 1987-1989. The camera is built like a tank and you will never break it (unless you flood the housing of course). I own the EOS RT whih is based on the 650 chasis and it is a great camera if you know how to use it.

If it's a good deal, Id buy it. Remember that alot of people are selling the film gear to go digital so don't buy because you think it sounds cheap - check ebay for prices.

I used to have an EOS 620 which was the semi-pro version (1/4000 shuter, 1/250 flash synch ). The focusing was quite fast, much faster than the Nikon 8008 (which I'm still using). The 650 can focus on vertical objects, not horizontal. You can always focus manually. Operation is very simple with these cameras and they did have more metal than the generation that came later.

If the price is right, go ahead and buy it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom