Navigation and Compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spthomas

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've always used the compass on my console for nav. I practice it a bit, always opting to navigate to something underwater using the compass than cheating and looking on the surface for the buoy. But I'm frustrated, because I still miss things a bit, especially when viz is as bad as recently at our local quary. With 5' vis or less, I miss about 25% of the time when I'm looking for a feature (we have a coffin, and a concrete alligator, etc.).

So, what compass do you use? Is there an upgrade that'd make things easier? Mine is on my console, and the hose is short enough that I have to hold it close to me, with elbows tucked in, and that might be good.

Any thoughts on better nav setup?

=Steve=

Steve,
Why don't you try:

- extending console hose as far as possible while you can still see,

- use the side window on the compass (that will allow you to see that it is level (you will see the disk's position on the window)

- make sure your arms are an extension of your body line and you are swimming level as well.

don't forget that when using the compass, you are in charge of getting from point A to point B and your buddy is in charge of making sure both of you stay at depth, etc.

hope that made sense and it helps.

cheers,
maria

Get a wrist mount compass or a longer hose. You need to get the compass far enough away from your body to keep the metal you are wearing from interfering with the magnetic field of the compass. The compass must be level and away from metal objects to work properly. Keep the lubber line aligned with the center of your body, the short hose may be keeping you from doing this since you say you're just a bit off. When the center of your body and the compass do not form a straight line you are not swimming where the compass is indicating you should go.

Hope that helps!
Ber :lilbunny:

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been working a lot on Navigation as I get to diving more again (been away for a while), and while I like the stability of the compass when I tuck my elbows into my sides and hold the compass in front of me, it is probably the tug of the hose on the left side that makes me off just a bit. And it makes it impossible to use the side window even if I wanted to, because I can't hold it to eye level and support it at all. So longer hose it is!

=Steve=

Using a compass is not unlike shooting a firearm. The greater the sight radius (the distance from the rear sight to the front) the more accurate the shot. The same applies in using your compass. The greater the distance is from your eye along the longitudinal axis of your the more accurate your navigation will be. The reason being is that a small movement of the axis of your body will more greatly affect your magnetic bearing. Holding one's compass close to ones body can allow a shift in the body (direction) without a resulting indication being given immediately by the compass.

I delpoy my compass, when needed, from a retractor attached to my right shoulder D-ring. I can extend the compass well ahead of me, and using the side window, navigate with relatively good accuracy. In low visability situations this is of paramount importance.

When not in use, I store the compass on the accessory pocket on my right side waist strap.

Error, especially over long distances is unavoidable. Depending on the size of the target and the distance hitting the target right on can be unlikely. One solution is to use intentional error in planning a compass course.

Make sense, about the sight radius thing. But, the trade-off seems to be that, with the compass at arms length rather than tucked in close, there is more room for my arms to move around and change my "point of aim". But I'm going to try a different compass mount, like a retractor, or at least a longer hose for my console.

And I'm glad to hear that maybe it's not just me that has trouble with this. I'm navigating in virtual zero viz (maybe 5' or so?), and going 100-200 yards in that I miss a lot, and was feeling pretty much like a newbie! But I was likely only missing by 2-3 yards, and I guess 2-3 yards over a 100 yard course isn't bad?

=Steve=
=Steve=

I usually hold my console with both hands extended as far as I can and see the numbers on the window, forming a triangle with the point inline with my body. I seem to kick harder with my right leg so I have to really watch my heading closely or I will turn off course.

I recently switched from a console mounted compass to a Suunto SK7 (wrist). I'm having to practice quite a bit now as I don't seem to be able to use the new one as well as before. It seems harder to swim an accurate line because the wrist compass is closer to my face and I need to be very careful that I'm aligned correctly with it. With the console it was easier to make a straight line. Last Sunday we had very bad vis for here - about 3ft - and I missed a large rock after a 240ft swim. Second dive went better and I hit another point after a 500ft swim dead on. It seems to be about practice.

2 to 3 yards over 100 is 5' visibility is excellent!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom