Ow Ow Ow Ow Ow *** Update ***

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Here's the latest since the accident

FIRST - Thanks to everyone who has sent well wishes, PM's and other kind words. Your encouragement means the world to me.

* Its been a week today. Can't believe it.

* Wed was my first time out of the house. I paid for it Thursday. But Thursday was one of my best days. Took off the bulky dressing on Wed PM, and went to bandages (as recommended in the discharge order.) No cast with the Rod - just 2.5" and 1/4" incisions (rod and screw) at the knee, and a 1" at the heel (for the two screws) I now cover with bandaids.

* Went to the DR yesterday (Friday) for my first visit after the unfortunate incident. He said he can see I'm motivated and fit. My BP is good (105 / 71) and he said being positive is important. He told me I'm overdoing it and need to rest a bit (big shock there...) This was the first guy to tell me this is a severe fracture, and I'm being very optimistic in my recovery time. He adjusted my meds, gave me some encouragement and it was a cool, but sad visit. I'll likely be laid up longer than originally hoped for.

* Today (Sat) was my best day - they seem to get better each day since Wed. Had the leg down most of the day, very mobile, and I felt good. Jaye and I went out for the afternoon. I did several reps in my therapy and mixed in some other exersise, as well as the relaxation, as ordered.

I see an orthopedic sergeon this Thursday to get the staples out, and sign up for the PT. I'm taking smaller doses of Codine, but direction to take them more regularly has really helped keep things under control - and I can get a lot more done and stay pain abated throughout most of the day.

I probably won't be able to drive for another week or two... we'll see. He thinks 4 weeks to drive. I think I'm ready now, Jaye thinks I'm mental so I'll go with her opinion for now.

Here's a pic of me watching my Dodgers get lit by the killer Cards in my newly configured leg-friendly office. My office is configured at home to work Standing Up... not so good for me these days!
Ken

Hi Ken,

this one went right over my head.
But I'm glad you making progress and wish you the best to get well, and wet :wink: soon.

Stefan

You realize, with a steel rod your balance will be off so you might have to wear a Force Fin on that foot. :D

I hope that you continue to heal well! Let me know if there is anything that I can do for ya!

Hi Ken,

It doesn't look nearly as bad in this picture as I thought it would after seeing the x-ray. I expected to see something with a bit more black and blue. Of course, looks can always be deceiving. I'm glad to hear your recovery is going well.

I'll continue my prayers and hopes for a speedy recovery. Don't try to push it to fast. You want to be sure that thngs heal properly. I've seen a lot of people "push" things to fast, which has lead to additional treatment that would have otherwise been unnecessary.

Hope to see you back in action soon with your new bionic leg.

Christian

Ken,

I had a very vivid dream last night that I had a broken leg. Seriously. I think your xrays have traumatised me in some manner. You will therefore be hearing shortly from my attorney.
(You just now were told that this was a very severe fracture?!) :11:
Your body will tell you how fast to progress, I am sure. Meanwhile, take advantage of the good drugs you are getting. :D
Here's some bone-knitting vibes for you.
~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~

Sue

Mo2vation:
I'll likely be laid up longer than originally hoped for.

Ken, you know I am your biggest "take it easy" lecturer. You cannot "will" that leg to heal any faster than it wants to. I am so glad the doctor seems to have gotten through to you, and that you will not be pushing things so hard that it affects your healing!

Here's a pic of me watching my Dodgers get lit by the killer Cards in my newly configured leg-friendly office.

Ya, but what happened at the END of the game last night :wink: LOL!! Go Dodgers!!

Take care of yourself, buddy. We want to be diving with you soon!!

jennifer

that the yellow in that shirt brings out the yellow in the bruising? Ow, indeed!

I just wanted to offer my "best fishes" for a speedy recovery...so take care of yourself and don't overdo. The picture was taken Monday the 6th, I think at the Quarry; the fish are awaiting your return to the water.

Hey Ken, pic looks a lot better than I though!! have you tried the ideas for the shower yet? Be careful and don't push it.

Maria

If you have automatic transmission, then you can drive with your good leg. If you do not, then you will end up renting. Broke my ankle once, and it took a month to heal, with 3 months of phys therapy. No driving my jeep standard transmission for about 2 months. Good luck.

Mo2vation:
I probably won't be able to drive for another week or two... we'll see. He thinks 4 weeks to drive.
Here's wishing you a speedy recovery :D

When I busted my right leg 3 years ago, I didn't have a live-in chauffer, so I learned in a hurry to drive a stick shift with the use of only one foot. I also figured out it was a lot easier to do in a little Suzuki than a big ol' Ford truck! Tricky at first, but hey - if a clutz like me can do it, anyone can :D

I also found out as you did - you need a lot less of the pain meds if you take them on schedule instead of waiting 'til it hurts too much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom