Roatan's Caribbean Seashore B&B: Reviews? Info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gourmetdiver

Reaction score
Anyone have any info on the Caribbean Seasore B&B? Prices/deals? Quality of accommodations? Personality of manager? Dive operators that service them? Location in town? Nearness to water?

Bretagne:
Wrong Forum. Roatan is not in Europe.

i am clearly confused because the thread showing on my page is: "scubaboard > scuba diving vacation & destintions > central & south america > (my thread) Roatan's Caribean Seashore B&B: Reviews? Info?"

how could it show that if it isn't where it is, if you get my drift?

gourmetdiver:
i am clearly confused because the thread showing on my page is: "scubaboard > scuba diving vacation & destintions > central & south america > (my thread) Roatan's Caribean Seashore B&B: Reviews? Info?"

how could it show that if it isn't where it is, if you get my drift?
probably a someone moved it to the correct forum after that post, it happens.

gourmetdiver:
Anyone have any info on the Caribbean Seasore B&B? Prices/deals? Quality of accommodations? Personality of manager? Dive operators that service them? Location in town? Nearness to water?

Start here:

http://www.roatanet.com/caribbeanbnb/

Pretty good description there.

It is nowhere near any town. Maybe a twelve minute cab ride to West End, an 18 minute ride to Coxen Hole. Cab would have to be ordered in advance (no big deal). Looks like you could fall into the North side of the Island's reef from the property.

RoatanMan:
Start here:

http://www.roatanet.com/caribbeanbnb/

Pretty good description there.

It is nowhere near any town. Maybe a twelve minute cab ride to West End, an 18 minute ride to Coxen Hole. Cab would have to be ordered in advance (no big deal). Looks like you could fall into the North side of the Island's reef from the property.

much appreciated info, but isn't there a cluster of development with a few hotels in Sandy Bay, ie AKR, Oceanside Inn, Malzer Casita, Judy's Fantasea and the Honduras Beach Hotel?

And isn't the north side where there are a bunch of dive sites?

gourmetdiver:
much appreciated info, but isn't there a cluster of development with a few hotels in Sandy Bay, ie AKR, Oceanside Inn, Malzer Casita, Judy's Fantasea and the Honduras Beach Hotel?

And isn't the north side where there are a bunch of dive sites?
]

The North side has attracted many dive ops as well as new neighborhoods built up for vacation homes. One of the poshest (so far) on Roatan is in that neighborhood. Curiously, the next town East along the North shore is Hotasparrow, one of the poorest concentrations of citizenry, located adjeacent to the dump where most eke out a living.

The rest of the developement on Roatan is, by comparison, very scattered and not so concentrated... yet.

There are "mapped" dive sites that stretch from this Sandy Bay area (not the only such named bay), West towards AKR and looping all the way around and under the island. Most sites that are denoted on so-called "dive site maps of Roatan" end on the South side at Oak Ridge area.

They're about even in numbers, but of different charatcter (see search here for differences discussed previously) making each an interesting possibility. Always pick a dive op that is capable of moving operations to the South side when weather comes in as a Norther (like the spin-off from Ivan).

Truth be told, the dive sites that are demarcated and that you are allowed to jump in are but the tip of the iceberg.

Right next to one of the most popular dive sites is something your DM's simply won't show vacationing divers- it's a shallow yet very constricted tube that runs for hundreds of feet. Right in front of one resort is an incredible blind chimney that starts at 95' and does two 90 degree kinks on its narrow ascent to exit the top of the reef in 10 feet. Stuff they wont show you.

The dive sites that lie near and East of Calvin's Crack (my favorite moored divesite) are a yet untold treasure to most.

... then there's the islets of Helena, Moratt and the straits of Barbaretta... as well as the "Cow and Calf".

Roatan is a true treasure, much more than Mary's Place. Pick your dive operator well- pay for a 'next step adventure' and dive within your abilities. Enjoy the possibilities.

Might as well pitch in what little I know - will be staying there for a week or so this summer. The owners are very accommodating and helpful - we had planned to stay there last summer but one of our sons was in a serious car accident and we had to leave Honduras before we got to Roatán; they allowed us to use our deposit toward this summer's visit even though the cancellation was last minute. Apparently there are small grocery places and a couple of restaurants in Sandy Bay and a new pizza place opening in the next few months across for Caribbean Seashores Rentals. If anyone else has been we'd love to hear more.

Just got back from Roatan a couple of weeks ago. We usually stay at Anthony's Key Resort every year, and did so this year. However, we just purchased the beachfront 'Malzer Home' and will be returning in May to close on it. It is located in the Sandy Bay area, close to AKR and Bay Islands Beach Resort. The former owners spent about 2 months in the home each year. The rest of the time it was rented out to vacationers. We plan to do the same. The house also comes with a 443' foot double deck pier directly in front of the infamous 'Spooky Channel'. If you are interested, I will send you a link to the home's website and any details you require.
I have been told that visitors can dive with either resort (AKR or Bay Islands Beach Resort), for a nominal fee.
West End is about a 5 minute drive, and there are many wonderful restaurants including Fosters, The Argentinian Grill and the SeaRay. You can spend a good portion of a day shopping for souvs and eating. With each return, I see more and more commercial growth on the island.
Enjoy your stay, it is a remarkable place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom