Drysuit Pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CALI68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
What is the layout for the Dryuit pockets. Are they both "Bellows pockets" around 7"X11" or are they different. Also what goes in either pocket?

Thanks so much!
-Chris

CALI68:
What is the layout for the Dryuit pockets. Are they both "Bellows pockets" around 7"X11" or are they different. Also what goes in either pocket?

Thanks so much!
-Chris

Lots of thoughts on this one. Lets address design first, and contents second.

DESIGN
I personally like the large zippered pockets by DUI, and these are the ones I had put on my Drysuit. They have a Dring inside (to clip stuff to) grommet vents at the bottom, zip from either side (I put a zip tie loop on the front zip so I can tell when its open/closed) and has a cool stiffiner so I can get in and out easily. I love 'em.

They're not huge like the velcro bellows, open easier and are not nearly as bulky. For me, they just work. Others prefer the Velcro bellows, or the VB on the left, and a thin, lower profile on the right. Still others insist only the large velcro bellows with 1 to 2 bungee loops are DIR. Hmmm... didn't know the "wrong pocket" got me thrown off the team.

CONTENTS
I recommend doing a search, as there are a lot of threads, with the whole "what's in your pockets" thing going on. Those threads helped me a lot.

For me, the single tank recreational weenie DIR diver, it's pretty simple:

Right pocket - Stuff I will use on the dive (Wet notes for every dive, and a sasauge for drift dives)

Left pocket - Stuff I might use (emergency stuff) - a spare mask, EMT shears, and Dive Alert for boat dives, add a mirror for drift dives. All clipped off to the Dring. I also toss in a spare pencil.

That's it for me. Weenie diver, so no spools or reels or other stuff jammed in there. I have dove only once without pockets (a borrowed drysuit) when I ripped a seal on a trip one time... it drove me NUTS. I need my stuff with me. Especially the wetnotes... I use those every dive.

I purchased those wack X-shorts (AKA: Black Pocket Diaper or BPD) for my recent warm water trips so I could have pockets on my new 3/2 suit. Yanking open the huge velcro piece is kinda of a pain... I like the zippers better.

Ken

I'm still new with the pocket thing, so keep that in mind...

I like Mo2s idea about the left right segregation, need it now, might need it later. I have the same pocket shorts as he does. I segregagted mine as flat (right) and bulky (left). In the right, I keep my wet notes, and any slates or tables I might need for the dive.

In the left pocket I keep spare mask (sometimes), spool, small SMB if needed (I have a large one in my backplate pack).

Although I don't know how often it would occur, the one cuation I have heard about the zipper pockets is in the case that the zipper might become stuck or jammed.

I would suggest going with bellowed pockets on both sides. Not many are going with the flat pocket on one side anymore.

I don't like zippers. Just another thing to get stuck. I would go with velcro pockets.

Everyone does something different with what goes inside each. On my left, I have two spools, an extra double ender, an extra pee valve screw, an emergency reflector. In my right pocket, a backup mask, Wetnotes, various dive tables (just in case), slate for sending up in an emergency via lift bag.

ScubaDadMiami:
I would suggest going with bellowed pockets on both sides. Not many are going with the flat pocket on one side anymore.
The new 5thD pockets have Velcro strips along the sides so they can be used as flat pockets.

RichLockyer:
The new 5thD pockets have Velcro strips along the sides so they can be used as flat pockets.

Its a pretty cool feature for those of us who really only use Wetnotes in the right.

They're still a pain to pull open, but I get the whole velcro v. zipper arguement... a thousand feet into a cave is no time for you to get locked out of your pocket.

I've just never had a prob with the zip and the stakes aren't that high for the diving I do at present.

I was surprised at how much I liked the X-shorts in Florida and Mexico. Good product.

K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom