Anyone here with Maui Nu'u bay experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aerodog

Contributor
Reaction score
I've never dove any sites on Maui's south shore so went last Saturday to checkout and snorkle Nu'u bay. Holy smoke it was wicked and wild out there! So has anyone dove Nu'u bay? Comments on their experience? Is it worth it? How do you get back since you need to drive to about 3000 ft to get back to the other side of the island?

Hey AD-
What do you mean exactly by "wicked and wild"?

I must admit I don't have info on how to dive this site, but this is a site I keep saying I'm going to dive each time I go to Maui, and still haven't done it. I'm curious to see if anyone replies with any more info. I am going to make a real effort to dive this site when I go back in February.

I'd call Maui Dreams Dive Company in Kihei. They dive this site somewhat regularly and have some info on this site.

Let me know what you find out.

Nu'u Bay is considered one of the best dives on the South side of the island. It takes several hours to get there. The Maui shore dive guide states it is protected from the summer's Trade Winds and the winter's Northwest swells but usually best in winter months. It goes on to say the reef is very extensive and drops off quickly to over 100 feet. A hazard is the current due to tidal changes and it usually runs East.
This is a very remote location and diving should be done here with great care as there is no help to be found.
I scouted the location out for a kayak dive but have not yet done it, probably because I don't want to get up at 3 or 4 am to get there early.
If you are going there from the Kihei or Lahaina areas you have to:
1. Drive to the other side of the island then past Hana. This is the long way.
2. Drive to the other side of the island then upcountry to the Ulupalakua Winery and beyond which is taking the back way towards Hana but reaching Nu'u Bay first. You will be going to over 3000 feet altitude going this route.

Wingnut,
Wicked and wild -> the wind was blowing something fierce! Haven't felt that kind of hot "dry" strong wind since the high plains of Colorado Springs. Wild in that the southern part of the island is pretty bleak. A couple fisherman and tourists wanting to justify their rental of a SUV, thats aboout it. The sea was both wicked AND wild that day as Nu'u bay was whitecaps all the way to shore. I've been known to dive when conditions are questionable and has NO problem staying out of the water.

From Wailea it took me about 1.5 hours in the morning to get to Nu'u bay. Not too many people on the road and amazingly I hit maybe 3 lights the whole way there. Need help, better bring that satellite phone as cell service wasn't happening.

To be truthful, once I saw the site, the urge to dive it just wasn't there. It didn't seem worth the trouble. I think I'll check it out during the winter when the conditions might be better.

Aloha Aerodog,

I've been to Nu'u Bay a few times over the years. Pretty awesome dive if the water is favorable. It's so far away that you really can't tell what to expect until you drive out there and see the conditions with your own eyes. My friends and I have made both day and night dives there and have always gone in off the rock beach and headed off to the left. Nice corals and plentiful fish. Noone will come to rescue you for a long time if you run into trouble so it's definitely a concern if you're unfamiliar with the area. We camped out there a few times and it was nice. Lots of roaches and centipedes crawling around so we had to watch our step though. It's a real adventure dive, something you have to commit to if you are gonna try it. It would be best to take along a local guide just to be on the safe side. I've dove it in September and again in March and both times we had pretty calm seas. You just have to watch the weather close when you head out there. Good luck if you try it. Let me know if you're gonna head over there, I might like to join you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom