What's up with Jet Fin sizes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
I got my first pair of jets about 1 year ago. They were a Medium and fit perfectly.

Then a few months later I got my drysuit and those fins were too small. I actually had to go up to an XL, which I thought was ridiculous considering I'm a pretty small guy. At the same time I bough new heavier wetsuit booties so I could use the XLs when diving wet and dry, and ebayed the Mediums and my old booties.

After getting some dives in, in the drysuit I decided I don't really like the BIG rubber boots, so I picked up a pair of Turbo Soles.

Well guess what now the XLs are way too BIG for my drysuit! So I figure I'll go down to a Large. Well the Large is too small for my wetsuit booties!!!

Ok so now I'm being forced to have 2 pairs of fins, which isn't a huge deal, but am I the only person who needs to wear smaller fins when diving dry, when you have more drag and need the extra power that the larger fins will give you?

This is stupid the size difference between the Turbo Soles and my wetsuit booties isn't that much!! Hmmm...well the Large fit my drysuit, but just barely.

So now I finally realized the problem.

There is no such thing as Large Jet Fins!!! They may say Large, but they're pretty much the same size as a Medium. Even the foot pocket doesn't look that much bigger. The XLs, though are MUCH bigger than the Large!!!

Your problem isn't with the fin size, it's your boot size. Big boot = larger fin required. Small boot = smaller fin required.

Jet fin sizes are inappropriately named. Medium is really small, Large is really medium, XL is really Large. There is considerable difference between sizes of the foot pockets of all the different sizes. I usually wear a Large and would not be able to get my feet in an pair of Mediums.

Yea join the club! I'm an XL 1/2 ! I use XL Jets but it takes the jaws of life to get 'em off. To get 'em on I spray a little soapy water in there. The XXL are just flat out crazy! I feel your pain. :)

They really need to make more sizes. It's almost as if thier sizes are XS SM MD XL. The smaller sizes are all pretty close and then BAM! Huge jump between Large and XL.

Has anyone used jets with inserts. I hate inserts, uncomfortable and one more thing to lose or forget.
BUT
With the extra padding in drysuit boots I don't think they would be as uncomfortable, plus I hate having 2 pairs of the exact same fins (I know at some point I'll grab the wrong ones), and those Larges just look too small to use when diving dry.

grunzster:
They really need to make more sizes. It's almost as if thier sizes are XS SM MD XL. The smaller sizes are all pretty close and then BAM! Huge jump between Large and XL.

Has anyone used jets with inserts. I hate inserts, uncomfortable and one more thing to lose or forget.
BUT
With the extra padding in drysuit boots I don't think they would be as uncomfortable, plus I hate having 2 pairs of the exact same fins (I know at some point I'll grab the wrong ones), and those Larges just look too small to use when diving dry.

Yea, how about the jump between XL and XXL...it makes NO sence the jump is ridiculous.

I'd hate to rely on those inserts. At that point I'd get Quattros (black ones) or something else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom