New to Spearfishing-Going on trip 9/25-my 1st time using a gun and hunting!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am going to dive the EMpire Mica with my scuba club on Sept 25, 2004, and they are all going spearfishing. I was told I could too. They would teach me everything and we have formed a team to go to the SBO, HDO, and one other I can't remember.

I have never done this before. I can shoot weapons from the Army, and I have used a bow a couple of times.

I want to know any tips or techniques for getting started.
1) is there anything I can do at home before I go on this trip to get or be better at spearfishing?
2) What is a good competition speargun?
3) What kind of gun is good to start with?
4) Should you learn a pole too?
5) Any dived the Empire Mica and know what I can expect?
6) Is there anything that you can do to practice to get good other than just going to FL and doing it?

You can answer here or PM me.
Thanks
Bridget

1. Learn your gear a few smaller dives before hand with the gear in your possesion might get you comfortable with it, even if you can't use the setup.

2. Everyone seems to love Riffe guns and the price shows.

3. Probably depends on what you will be hunting and where...

4. I haven't used an actual speargun yet, because my local DM suggested that I start with a polespear in order to get accustomed to depth perseption UW and accuracy. Remember, looking at things for dives on top of dives is one thing, actually reaching out and tagging them is something entirely different. I'm glad I did go with the polespear and I'm having tons of fun with it and have brought back quite a few fish, even some that are quite a nice size. Eventually, I'll get a gun and I'll probably start off quite a bit more confident with it now that I already have experience with the spear.

5. Nope

6. Experience is the best teacher, however, some LDSs have spearfishing classes...

The group I am going with our really good and one guy does classes so he was going to bring me up to speed he said.

AB Biller or Riffe are excellent choices. I use an AB Biller 42 Special and absolutely love it! So far, my only non-kills are total misses due to my own mis judgement. :)

CBulla:
I use an AB Biller 42 Special and absolutely love it!

Excellent! I was looking into the same gun for when I upgrade.

What are the differences in the characteristics of the gun in the different woods they are available in? Teak, Mahogany, and that other stuff that starts with a "P"?

SuPrBuGmAn:
Excellent! I was looking into the same gun for when I upgrade.

What are the differences in the characteristics of the gun in the different woods they are available in? Teak, Mahogany, and that other stuff that starts with a "P"?

Teak & Mahogany guns have similar characterstics, pretty much neutral, with the shaft in gun. Become bouyant after shot...remember: always put arm thru bands immediately after shot! Teak & Mahogany are a little "quicker" handling/manuvering. Padauk guns are slightly negative before shot, pretty neutral after. All guns are negative if you use a spare shaft. I have a padauk Biller 48, a beautiful, deadly gun.

beachdivequeenbelam:
I want to know any tips or techniques for getting started.
1) is there anything I can do at home before I go on this trip to get or be better at spearfishing?

99% of being a great spearfisherperson is just finding the fish. On your trips after the Empire, do your research before you leave the docks. Read the message boards, the newspapers, look at the water temps to try and "determine/guess" where the big fish will be at.

But most of all, make friends with other boat captains and share your trip reports with them, most will reciprocate some info/numbers.

Before you go out a buy a gun, check out SpearBoard.com and try to attend a local spearfishing seminar (if possible). Most non-comercial guns below $500 are quite similar, yet do have usability differences. Yet, I think most honest spearfishermen will tell you that your stalking techniques and shot placement are the real critical factors. It's not really the gun - its the hunter.
Since other brands have been offered here, take a look at the Spearfing Specialties "Rhino" series. Very nice guns as well. I also agree that the Billers are nice. Once you start loking at Riffe, you're getting into an even nicer gun (and more $). You may want to also consider a Wong if you are wanting to free-shaft and aer willing to pay.
Note: Be sure you buy the longest manageable gun you can handle and afford. Short guns with additional bands (to make up for the lost "punch") are not accurate.

Read The Last of the Blue Water Hunters

2) What is a good competition speargun?

Are you interested in competition or merely putting food on the table? Different guns suit different divers and different game. I have both a Biller 48 and a Riffe (can't ever remember the Hawaiian name) both teak. I've had my Biller since the mid '80's, I picked up the Riffe about 3 years ago. They do not have the same aim point. I became an excellent shot with the Biller, when I switched to the Riffe, I kept shooting high. It took me a while to transition. Depending on your size and strength, you may want a longer or shorter gun. The trigger on a Biller will wear out and need replacing. When it fails, the first symptom is not wanting to lock in the shaft. It will sometimes fire without pulling the trigger. Be extremely careful.

3) What kind of gun is good to start with?

A Hawaiian sling is great for beginners. You won't fill the boat, in fact, you might not get any fish the first few outings, but you'll learn to stalk and get close. You have to get close with a sling. You'll be a much better hunter if you start with a sling.

4) Should you learn a pole too?

I guess the same logic applies to poles as to slings. I've never learned to use a pole spear.

5) Any dived the Empire Mica and know what I can expect?

Can't help you there.

6) Is there anything that you can do to practice to get good other than just going to FL and doing it?

Study fish behavior. Target a few species at first and later expand. Depending on your local laws, you could target practice in local waters.

Thank you guys so much on the tips you have given me already.

I have learned a lot of techniques for hunting fish because of my u/w photography skills. Learning to use my lungs and breath hold to catch that pic without scaring off the fish should help shouldn't it?
I know you never never hold your breath but I think you guys know want I mean. You take a breath wait and use my lungs to adjust my depth very slowly to get the pic.

Back
Top Bottom