Depth reading anomaly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave in PA

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've got an Oceanic VT Pro that I like a lot so far. Upon downloading my dives from over the weekend, though, one dive has a blerb on the depth chart. The dive went to 90' for about 10 minutes then we followed the bottom contour to about 60' for 20 minutes and then slowly ascended to 20' for a 3 minute safety stop.

The anomaly was upon approaching the 60' level, the computer showed me continuing the ascent to 19' and then descending back to 60'. I did no such thing, I stayed about 4' off the bottom the whole time.

Has anybody else had this happen to their computer and if so, what make/model was it?

Nice, I would contact the manufacturer, maybe it's time for a S/W upgrade.

S/W upgrade? This is one of the newer computers on the market.

S/w upgrade or not, something obviously went wrong. Perhaps a pressure / depth sensor glitch. Contact the manufacturer. That's what warranties are for!

Also, did you notice any depth mis-readings while on the dive? When one of my computers had a sensor go bad it would say I was at the surface when I was at 130'. (And I was using two computers so don't ask why I didn't end the dive.)

Paula

Dave in PA:
I've got an Oceanic VT Pro that I like a lot so far. Upon downloading my dives from over the weekend, though, one dive has a blerb on the depth chart. The dive went to 90' for about 10 minutes then we followed the bottom contour to about 60' for 20 minutes and then slowly ascended to 20' for a 3 minute safety stop.

The anomaly was upon approaching the 60' level, the computer showed me continuing the ascent to 19' and then descending back to 60'. I did no such thing, I stayed about 4' off the bottom the whole time.

Has anybody else had this happen to their computer and if so, what make/model was it?

How's the battery? My computer is an older Genesis (OEM is Oceanic) and I've had it give a wrong depth reading when the battery was due for replacement.

R..

I'm going to contact either my LDS or Oceanic today, probably go through my LDS. I re-read the manual to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong. The battery is good, still shows full power. I didn't notice any misreadings during the dive, only when I downloaded it, the spike showed up on the graph.

Dave in PA:

I don't know where the pressure transducer is on that model (look for a hole), but I have seen this with perfectly functioning depth/timer and computers. This can happen if the transducer momentarily gets isolated from the surrounding water.. I have seen it most often with dry suits that are a bit to large for the undergarments work and a seal of excess material gets formed around the computer. What seems to happen a bit more often is that the depth is slightly greater than actual and also tempertaure readings for the water are wrong..

I think the best bet would be to over night the computer to me and I will use it the rest of the season and let you know if I have any problems. :D

yeah, Chris, I'll get right on that! Actually, I heard back from Oceanic. They said it could be a bad chip, but more than likely the data point was corrupted by an electronic device, such as a cell phone, ham radio or something. The ascent rate didn't change, just the depth marker point. In over 11 hours underwater so far, that is the only blerb I have encountered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom