Sleep or lack there of [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : Sleep or lack there of

Sponsored Link

cobaltbabe
September 15th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Does anyone know of something other then drugs or warm milk that will help someone to sleep. It has been 3 days now that I have gone with less then 4-5 hours sleep and it is finally taking it's toll on me. I can't stand milk and I don't do drugs. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance folks.

underwater daphne
September 15th, 2004, 04:33 PM
hmm, you gotta try different things out but things that help me:

- lavender drops. there are special drops you can put on your pillow to help you sleep. got some from england in boots once. otherwise lavender is known to calm ppl.
- drink sleep teas. in switzerland we have all sorts of herbal and sleepy teas.
- hom÷opathie. there are some pretty good round beads that you can swallow.
- i like valium for flights, but no drugs so ok.
- melatonin. not really a drug as your body produces melatonin on it's own and i haven't noticed any side effects.
- beer, wein
- meditation. maybe you just can't shut down. try to forget what bothers you through the day and let go.
- a warm bath just before bed.
- reading the phone book.

good luck. i know what it's like and i hate warm milk.

Doc Intrepid
September 15th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Marie,

Sure fire cure.

1. Take a long hot bath.
2. At least 3 leisurely glasses of red wine.
3. Read anything by Nathaniel Hawthorne or Dostoyevsky.

Works every time :)

cobaltbabe
September 15th, 2004, 04:40 PM
I have been reading every night but it produces some very very horrible dreams that wake me up in worse condition then before I went to sleep. I am thinking about stopping on the way home to get some wine but I end up with a head ache even on two glasses on week days.

I like the hot bath and might add some candles and some classical music. Problem is I have 2 hours to get all my chores done when I get home and only that amount of time to spend with my children so do I spend me time or do I spend time with them? God I hate being a single mother. Sorry for unloading folks. It must be the lack of sleep.

ChicagoMermaid
September 15th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Have you considered trying yoga? I was in a near-fatal car accident a few years ago and couldn't sleep without pain meds and sleeping pills. I decided to give yoga a shot and was able to sleep through the night without chemical help. 4 years later it's still working!

Northeastwrecks
September 15th, 2004, 04:49 PM
I travel frequently. Changing time zones and staying in hotels can cause insomnia. I've developed the following routine, which seems to help.

1. A short (20 - 30 minutes) and moderate workout, such as swimming or briskly walking;
2. a very hot bath or whirlpool; and
3. a couple of melatonin tablets.

With regard to reading, I'd switch books if the one you are reading is giving you nightmares.

When you go to sleep, try to minimize outside stimulation. No TV, movies, lights, etc. I also find that a white noise generator (in my case an air conditioner or a humidifer, depending on the season) works well.

I gave up caffeine back in January. I found that this helped immensely. I'm not groggy in the morning, I get to sleep faster and I sleep better.

Finally, if you can't resolve this on your own, check with your doc. There could be some other issue.

Good luck.

cobaltbabe
September 15th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Have you considered trying yoga? I was in a near-fatal car accident a few years ago and couldn't sleep without pain meds and sleeping pills. I decided to give yoga a shot and was able to sleep through the night without chemical help. 4 years later it's still working!

I would love to try that but I don't have the time. I am up at 6:30am to get the kids off to school and don't get home till 8:15pm. Long days. I think I need to win the lottery. Anyone know the winning numbers?

cobaltbabe
September 15th, 2004, 04:54 PM
Finally, if you can't resolve this on your own, check with your doc. There could be some other issue.

Good luck.

Have you been talking to my husband? Lord almighty. LOL

Northeastwrecks
September 15th, 2004, 04:58 PM
I would love to try that but I don't have the time. I am up at 6:30am to get the kids off to school and don't get home till 8:15pm. Long days. I think I need to win the lottery. Anyone know the winning numbers?

Once you get into an insomnia cycle, it can be difficult to break. It seems to me that the larger my sleep deficit, the harder it is to get to sleep at an appropriate moment (sleeping in my office during the day is easy, but nonproductive).

With regard to chores, can you skip 'em for one night? Order take out and relax. The laundry will still be there in the morning.

With regard to the kids, is there any way that the kids could spend one night somewhere else, i.e., a sleepover or a night with the grandparents?

The idea is to minimize stress and outside stimuli for one evening so that you can get your sleep habits back on track. Once you're there, it'll probably be easier to stay there.

Northeastwrecks
September 15th, 2004, 05:01 PM

I just meant that there could be something interfering with your sleep pattern. Seriously, nothing else was intended or implied.

cobaltbabe
September 15th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Once you get into an insomnia cycle, it can be difficult to break. It seems to me that the larger my sleep deficit, the harder it is to get to sleep at an appropriate moment (sleeping in my office during the day is easy, but nonproductive).

With regard to chores, can you skip 'em for one night? Order take out and relax. The laundry will still be there in the morning.

With regard to the kids, is there any way that the kids could spend one night somewhere else, i.e., a sleepover or a night with the grandparents?

The idea is to minimize stress and outside stimuli for one evening so that you can get your sleep habits back on track. Once you're there, it'll probably be easier to stay there.

It all sounds so easy. I am going to be totally honest here folks. My house is a mess. It drives me nuts and then some.

My family all live along way away and I don't really have anyone in the town that I live in that the kids can go to. Just the way it is. I chose it.

I am thinking a great big cartoon mallet to the head!!! LOL

Quarrior
September 15th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Does anyone know of something other then drugs or warm milk that will help someone to sleep. It has been 3 days now that I have gone with less then 4-5 hours sleep and it is finally taking it's toll on me. I can't stand milk and I don't do drugs. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance folks. Hmm, no milk, no drugs. Guess that leaves WHISKEY :D

cobaltbabe
September 15th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Hmm, no milk, no drugs. Guess that leaves WHISKEY :D

I am headed to the wine store after work.

underwater daphne
September 15th, 2004, 05:17 PM
alcohol is excellent, but if it works, try not to make it a habit. good to get some sleep now, but do look for alternatives or you might have a different problem soon.
:)

Doc Intrepid
September 15th, 2004, 05:19 PM
(I raised a few kids myself, Marie, so take it for what its worth...) No idea how old yours are, and I think NEW is on to something, but you might try something other than wine while the kids are still up! There are some excellent books you might try reading aloud to the kids before their bedtime, like the Redwall series (Brian Jacques?), etc. About an hour each night and I was certainly falling asleep, didn't always have the same effect on the kids (!), but it was quiet time we all enjoyed and it calmed me down. FWIW... Hang in there. One day they will be gone, the house will be clean, and god...it will be very very quiet. And empty.

RavenC
September 15th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Cobalt, there have been lots of great ideas mentioned to try...

Let the chores go for tonight.... Order take out, after dinner take a bike ride with the boys; after you get them to bed do the glass of wine and hot bath soak with some easy music. Try a watching a chick flick movie from bed or on the couch with the remote in your hand so when you begin to doze off you can just turn off the tv and not have to get up.

I wish I were there, I would give you a massage too. I think that might help with the stress.

R

cobaltbabe
September 15th, 2004, 05:25 PM
Thanks everyone. I know I am tired because I am literally tearing up. My boys are 15 and 11 and they are very supportive. We cuddle when we can (don't tell anyone since they are too old to cuddle). Matt and I are diving this weekend so that will relax me.

Walter
September 15th, 2004, 05:42 PM
First, don't go to bed until you're ready to sleep. That way, getting in bed will be a signal it's time to sleep.

Alcohol is a drug.

You might try the ingredient in milk that helps you sleep - calcium. You need calcium anyway, take it at bed time.

Don't consume any caffeine -- ever. Caffeine is in coffee, tea, cola, Barq's root beer, Mountain Dew and chocolate.

When you go to bed, relax, take a few deep breaths, close your eyes and slowly count backward from 5. Say each number 3 times. As you say the number, picture the numeral in your mind. After you've reached 1, take a few more deep breaths. Think of the most relaxing location you can imagine, picture yourself there. This should help you get ready to sleep. Now it's time to put yourself out, this is the part I hate, but it's extremely effective.

With your eyes closed, elevate them 20░ and visualize. Picture yourself standing beside a chalk board. Pick up the chalk and draw a large 99 on the board. Now, draw a circle around it. Put down the chalk and pick up the eraser. Erase the 99, being careful not to erase any part of the circle. Pick the chalk up and draw a 98 inside the circle. Continue this pattern until you fall asleep from boredom. If you, by some strange turn of events reach 0, start over. Most don't make it to the 80's.

Sleep well.

Kim
September 15th, 2004, 05:46 PM
If you don't count herbal stuff as drugs you might try valerian. Other than that peppermint tea also works.

cobaltbabe
September 15th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Very interesting Walter. I will try that. I already drink Peppermint tea for my stomach and I usually drink apple tea at night.

scbababe
September 15th, 2004, 05:58 PM
It all sounds so easy. I am going to be totally honest here folks. My house is a mess. It drives me nuts and then some.
My family all live along way away and I don't really have anyone in the town that I live in that the kids can go to. Just the way it is. I chose it.
I am thinking a great big cartoon mallet to the head!!! LOL
Hi cobaltbabe! Are you taking anything that may contain caffeine like coffee or tea? If so, try not to have anything with caffeine after 4pm!

Hope this helps.....

cobaltbabe
September 15th, 2004, 06:02 PM
I do drink coffee. Thank you for all the advice.

kittyjg
September 15th, 2004, 06:46 PM
I have had a similar situation.

Is something coming up you are particularly worried or concerned about? Something you keep running through your mind? I would get to sleep, but wake up a couple of hours later and think for hours.
Sometimes this would work - lay and, starting at your toes, relax each body part. Think of only relaxing your feet, then lower legs, and work your way up. Think of feeling each individual muscle. Usually, I would go back to sleep before I made it to my shoulders.
Wine would work well to get to sleep, but wears off too soon when I am in a non-sleep state.

El Orans
September 15th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Hmm, no milk, no drugs. Guess that leaves WHISKEY :D

I can recommend Ardbeg 17yo ;)

starfish365
September 15th, 2004, 07:01 PM
hey there Cobaltbabe....sorry to hear about you not getting zzzzzzzzzzzz's.....

NeoCitran with a shot of brandy, whiskey, rum...whatever - it'll help you sleep and knock the snot right outta yah.
Warm red wine.
nice hot bath.
stop reading Stephen King or Dean Koontz (scary)
sleep with earplugs....I was waking up at all hours of the night (suddenly became a light sleeping without realizing it) - used earplugs for a few nights and it worked...sleep pattern back to normal.
I have trouble shutting my brain down at night sometimes - I get so worked up I almost vibrate - not good when trying to sleep...I finally went for a walk and then hot bath...worked.

You definitely sound like you need sleep but also sounds like something on your mind.....a good cry....or standing in a spot and screaming helps.....just let the people around you know it's therapudic reasons....buy a shredder (also therapudic)

good luck!

I highly recommend a good cry...I find it exhausting and relieving at the same time.

cowprintrabbit
September 15th, 2004, 07:44 PM
Celestial Seasons "Sleepytime" tea always works for me, it's mint & chamomile, which I find more pleasing than straight chamomile - Biegelow's version is good too, I can't remember the name, but it's blue...

Have you tried a fan for white noise? I used to point it at the ceiling so it wouldn't blow on me - but then I got a Brookstone sleep noise maker - rain and babbling brook are especially nice...

getwet2
September 15th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Does anyone know of something other then drugs or warm milk that will help someone to sleep. It has been 3 days now that I have gone with less then 4-5 hours sleep and it is finally taking it's toll on me. I can't stand milk and I don't do drugs. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance folks.
Sex............oh wait........maybe that just works for us guys.

Really, next time you are trying to sleep and can't, pay attention to what you are thinking about, it might be this that's keeping you awake, you might be worried about something and it's nagging at you. Try thinking about something you enjoy doing or about good times you've had in the past, just keep your mind occupied with something other than daily problems.

bubblemaker20
September 15th, 2004, 08:21 PM
I watch a movie that i have seen a million times and im passed out by 1/2 way through the movie. Movies always relax me and put me to sleep. (no horror or action movies)

Zoe83
September 15th, 2004, 08:59 PM
I would exercise a LOT, eat a big dinner, turkey if you can, that always puts people to sleep. then have a really hot bubble bath, drink a good bottle of Australian wine, i have never got a headache from them, but have with overseas wines. and read a book. if u stil cant sleep try lying down, closing your eyes, and 'daydreaming', that may help you fall asleep to continue your dream..hopefull some of that works for you, but if not, i hate to suggest drugs but take a panadeine forte, packed full of codeine, if one tablet doesnt knock you out the second one will. you can get them from a doctor, theyre for painful injuries..work great on long haul flights.

scbababe
September 15th, 2004, 10:41 PM

Really, next time you are trying to sleep and can't, pay attention to what you are thinking about, it might be this that's keeping you awake, you might be worried about something and it's nagging at you. Try thinking about something you enjoy doing or about good times you've had in the past, just keep your mind occupied with something other than daily problems.
I agree with you Getwet2 (LOL).

Sex.. works, for us girls too.... It just takes a good 3 round bout before it puts us to sleep!(lol)...

kelpmermaid
September 16th, 2004, 12:20 AM
Or...there is turkey. You can eat this by yourself. There is something supposedly sleep inducing about turkey meat.

On the wine front, too much may cause you to wake up at 3 am and curse us all.

But exercise may be the best idea. Take the kids with you. A walk may work for them, too.

jhelmuth
September 16th, 2004, 12:34 AM

Works for me and the wife :eyebrow:

baitedstorm
September 16th, 2004, 12:34 AM
seems it not just our "lips" that are the same..... I feel your pain girl! Relax, sleep will come soon (although not soon enough). Maybe you need a vacation to Florida :D (wait til the hurricanes leave)

Kat
September 16th, 2004, 03:31 AM
Oh Marie,
There is nothing worse then laying in bed tossing & turning. I too, have problems falling asleep. It is especially hard, because on the days I work, I have to get up at 2:30A to be at work at 3:30A On my off days, that's my bedtime.
What sometimes works for me is making mental lists of things. Counting things is good too. When I was pregnant, I'd make 'Butterscotch Milk' A little brown sugar, vanilla extract & warm milk. It worked very well & was yummy too. Didn't taste like warm milk at all.

underwater daphne
September 16th, 2004, 04:14 AM
hey there Cobaltbabe....sorry to hear about you not getting zzzzzzzzzzzz's.....

NeoCitran with a shot of brandy, whiskey, rum...whatever - it'll help you sleep and knock the snot right outta yah.

I highly recommend a good cry...I find it exhausting and relieving at the same time.

neocitran is a medicine. i wouldn't recommend medicine with alcohol. there have actually been cases of old ppl i think dying from drinking neo citran (maybe excessively or wrongly or with alc, i don't know the details. a swiss rumour maybe). good for a cold, but i wouldn't drink it with alc.

Bretagne
September 16th, 2004, 05:03 AM
Has you tried to sleep with socks? It helps me when I cannot sleep because I have gone to bed too late (body temperature, especially feets, naturally drops down, and it becomes too uncomfortable to sleep)

czjack
September 16th, 2004, 05:24 AM
One of the things I heard that helps if you work hard during the day is to:

1) Get a notepad and write down all the frustrations you've been dealing with
2) Take those notes and bunch them up furiosly and toss away
3) Take a warm bath and/or drink a warm cup of tea
4) Lower room temperature just a few degrees

The idea behind this technique basically goes with the idea that you want to release built up stress along with the theory that sleep can be helped when the body is forced to cool off because of warm liquid immersion or ingestion. It also helps if Hurricane Ivan isn't sitting just SW of your position.

Almost forgot...If you believe in Feng Shui remove signifcant amounts of red/orange/yellow from the bedroom. These colors are too warm and active for sleeping.

RavenC
September 16th, 2004, 08:37 AM

I was afraid to say it... I wanted to but I didn't know if it would get me in trouble around here.

Scbababe is right though, a quicky won't due, you need a couple hours of it but I always float right into a good solid sleep after a good session. Maybe after your dive this weekend you can work that in. :D The two are a powerful combination for wearing one's butt out. Hahaha

PS did anything help last night? Oh yeah that Sleepytime Tea is great. I use it and it is wonderful. (I dunk Pepperidge Farm Milano cookies in it though.)

R

starfish365
September 16th, 2004, 09:45 AM
neocitran is a medicine. i wouldn't recommend medicine with alcohol. there have actually been cases of old ppl i think dying from drinking neo citran (maybe excessively or wrongly or with alc, i don't know the details. a swiss rumour maybe). good for a cold, but i wouldn't drink it with alc.

I would think ppl who use excessively like half a bottle with it....nothing wrong with a little shot.

works for me and I'm good....I think...yup

OrlandoRogue
September 16th, 2004, 10:34 AM
I just read this thread and...wow, I feel for you cobaltbabe. I will go through cycles when there are weeks I barely sleep more than 3-4 hrs/night. My body feels physically exhausted, but my mind can't stop racing. I dwell on things from the day-to-day worries to philosophical ponderings. I am starting a regular Tai Chi class in the evenings next week, so I hope that will help with some of the problems. I do agree with those who recommend exercise, though. Many of the days that I spend more than an hour at the gym, forcing myself to become utterly exhausted, I sleep better. But, I understand you have limited time, so I would agree with the idea of taking the kids out for a stroll or some other form of physical exercise with them-my nephews always sleep sound when I take them out for an evening walk or some play time outside. Good luck to you, and know that on the other end of the continent, someone else is wide awake too!

CUunderH2O
September 16th, 2004, 10:46 AM
I have trouble sleeping sometimes, and before I start using over the counter drugs like Gravol, I try the following: no drinks with caffeine after 4PM, no heavy eating after 7PM, no computer use after 9PM, no exercise after 7PM. Try exercising early in the morning or during lunchtime; it will make you tired. If you're waking up in the middle of the night, ask yourself: are you hungry? If so, have a light snack, nothing greasy, but try a bit of tuna, turkey, or cheese. Try a sound machine: mine has 10 different sounds to choose from -- it helps. If you're very preoccupied with something and this is what's keeping you up, find a solution to it or you won't get any sleep. Drinking alcohol before bed is not really a good idea, as alcohol interferes with REM cycles, leading to sleep that's not as sound or as good for you.

I find when I've been lacking sleep for a week or more, I get very irritable, which only adds to the effects of lack of sleep, and affects everyone around me. At this point, I've exhausted the options listed above, so I go see my doctor who prescribes me some pills. I don't like this option, but in order to become 'sane' again, it works. I'm not talking sleeping pills, because those are addictive and leave you groggy in the morning. PM me if you want more info.

cobaltbabe
September 16th, 2004, 11:15 AM
Well last night I took Walters advice and got down to about 80 and thought my goodness this is boring and fell fast asleep. Fell asleep about midnight and back up at 6:37 to get the kids off to school. It's more sleep then I have had in a while. Thank you to everyone for all the advice. My hubby is coming over tonight so I know I will sleep better. I always do when he is there.

Walter
September 16th, 2004, 11:24 AM
It's effective because it is so boring.

cobaltbabe
September 16th, 2004, 12:05 PM
It's effective because it is so boring.

I really want to thank you, everyone who made suggestions, but expecially Walter for giving me such a boring suggestion. I am wide awake. Much love to you my friend. :10:

Walter
September 16th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Any time, darlin'.

Kat
September 16th, 2004, 12:46 PM
I tried Walters suggestion last night too. My mind kept drifting off to other thoughts & I'd have to concentrate on the number & erasing it. I didn't make it past 80, but it would probably been more like 70 if I could have stayed focused.

justleesa
September 16th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Glad you caught some shut eye girl....hope things get back to usual soon

czjack
September 16th, 2004, 05:43 PM
Well last night I took Walters advice and got down to about 80 and thought my goodness this is boring and fell fast asleep. Fell asleep about midnight and back up at 6:37 to get the kids off to school. It's more sleep then I have had in a while. Thank you to everyone for all the advice. My hubby is coming over tonight so I know I will sleep better. I always do when he is there.

I don't know why I didn't think about it before but maybe scent will assist you in getting more sleep. If your husband has a jacket or something that has his scent on it, it might help to get to sleep if you take that bed with you (the teddy bear effect.)

cobaltbabe
September 16th, 2004, 05:46 PM
I don't know why I didn't think about it before but maybe scent will assist you in getting more sleep. If your husband has a jacket or something that has his scent on it, it might help to get to sleep if you take that bed with you (the teddy bear effect.)

I have done that before. I slept in Matts shirt and it helped alot. I think I might "hide" one on him this weekend. ;)

scbababe
September 16th, 2004, 10:56 PM
Hi cobalt, glad to hear you were able to get some sleep.

Last night I went to bed thinking of other ideas to offer you and help you sleep better. Well, I did fall asleep, but then woke up in the middle of the night with a horrible nightmare!
It was terrible!!--It was about a Bigg-o-shark who came up out of no-where and ate a man up (he was water-skiing!) and I was right there just seeing it all happen right infront of me!! It was terrible!

Maresreg
September 16th, 2004, 11:43 PM
got to the pharmacy or grocery store and go to the vitamin section pick up something called valerian root.its a natural herb sleep aide.take it a half hour before your ready to go to bed.hop in bed and read a little you will be out before you know it and wake up rested.it doesnt make you groggy when you wake up. but i wouldnt take it everyday i only take it when i really cant sleep like you it helps alot.

LittleFrog
September 16th, 2004, 11:58 PM
Being a single parent has got to be one of the most stressful situations. I think the previous posts that suggest your problem is related to stress is right on. Unfortunately, most single parents feel like they have to sacrafice taking care of themselves to make sure their kids' needs are met. However, I really believe that if YOU are not taken care of, you have nothing to give anyone else.

It sounds like you have two great kids who are very loving and care very deeply for you. I'm sure they know how difficult things are for you and would be easily convinced to pitch in to help as they seem more sensitive than your average adolescent. Contribution builds character and it's amazing how kids respond to feeling needed.

When I work with my students on issues of stress management, I always make the following four suggestions:

1) give your body healthy fuel
2) rest
3) physical activity
4) do something for fun

When we get stressed, they are the first things that get put on the back burner but, ironically, are the very things we need in our lives to manage the stress.

Take care of yourself, Marie...we are sending out good wishes for you!

aussie_shark_bait
September 17th, 2004, 01:52 AM
HMMM

Sleep what is it again. No seriously i can understand what you must be going though.

My partner and I seperated when our child was 1yr old and i was on my own until very recently, actually he and i got back together and meanwhile he is still away on submarines so essentially still on my own as he and i live on opposite side of country.

Once i get a little tired then i start missing some sleep i find it very difficult to get into routine, so i clean like a mad woman all afternoon, make a nice filling dinner, have a few glasses of wine over hte course of the evening, lights some candles or dim the main lights to start slowing down my brain,a bath and straight to bed.

If i read i find that it keeps me awake and i want to know what happens next & have to read the next chapter on and on til i get to the end etc...at 3am!!

So i just do really normal routine activities and swimming, i also love when i can't sleep make the most of the quiet time put on some nice music, put a less stress eye pack on (a lavendar and herbal infused seed bag that you nuke in the microwave for 20 / 30 seconds and rest over your eyes smells divine and you seriously can't think while it is on and that really helped me in the beginning.

I also took on a full time job and a second part time job and of course my baby boy so i was generally pretty tired anyway just a quick prod in the direction of a bed sent me snoring.

My mother swears also by Velarian.

Nehallenia
September 17th, 2004, 05:05 AM
. Problem is I have 2 hours to get all my chores done when I get home and only that amount of time to spend with my children so do I spend me time or do I spend time with them? God I hate being a single mother. Sorry for unloading folks. It must be the lack of sleep.

It's no picnic, is it, being a single mother? And my kids are younger than yours - although I expect with adolescent boys you have some worries that could keep anyone awake. I know all about the hours of chores after putting in a full work day, competing demands from work and family that you feel will tear you to pieces, having no family close by to help, desperately wanting time alone but also knowing your kids need so much and you are the only one to give it to them, longing for a tidy house where you can actually find things after you put them down, longing for a decent meal that doesn't include hot dogs or kraft dinner or some combination of the two, and then dealing with all the mess and trauma of a divorce. It can really seem like more than anyone can bear. But we do.

I am glad you are finally got some sleep; if you ever want to rant, unload, whatever, send me a PM. Sometimes the best way to disperse all that stress is to just tell someone all about it.

Someone suggested sex as a soporific - yeah, right, if you ever overcome the chores and resultant exhaustion and feel like going out, where on earth do you ever meet a decent man?? Especially one who wants to be with someone who has children!

fmw625
September 17th, 2004, 05:23 AM
I work 12 hr shifts half on days half on nights, so I have to turn my body around by 12 hrs every 3 or 4 days. This may sound funny but here is the way I do it. I start at 999 and count backwards by 3 ie 999, 996, 993, 990 etc. after each number i check to see if it divisable by 3 ie add number up 999 = 9+9+9=27. 3 goes into 27. 9+9+6=24. 3 goes into 24. This helps force me not to think about the things that trouble me during the day. It's boring stuff so I fall asleep. Don't remember but about 2 times I made it to zero.

kona
September 17th, 2004, 05:40 AM
Your story is very familar to me. For about twenty years I suffered with insomnia until I realized that I wanted to change/deal with my type A personality. To make it even worse, I worry and tend to feel guilty about everything not perfectly done. So for me........yoga and hypnosis has helped me sleep much better. The hypnosis helped feed my subconcience that it's ok for me to not have all the chores and work projects done to perfection. It's ok to let go and 'allow' myself to not feel guilty if I have a good night sleep. My mind now lets me sleep......

Anyway, this has helped me a great deal for me. It's all natural and safe.

PM me if I can be of any help. Good luck!

Kriterian
September 20th, 2004, 08:40 PM
I hate intruding in the women's forum because I feel like it should be a sanctity from us men, hehe. However this topic intrigued me and spawned a few questions.

...God I hate being a single mother. Sorry for unloading folks. It must be the lack of sleep.

I thought maybe I was crazy or something. I can't figure out if you're single or married. It's not a pick up line, just my obsessive compulsive nature making me curious...and confused.

First, don't go to bed until you're ready to sleep. That way, getting in bed will be a signal it's time to sleep. <SNIP>

Very good suggestion, I'm going to try that one myself. I've tried counting sheep but it wasn't boring enough. I start envisioning one tripping, another one leaning on the fence, one doing a flip etc etc.

Also, are you the same Walter from Singledivers? You both have that wise and sage-like advice sound when you talk. :03:

Lastly...

I have been reading every night but it produces some very very horrible dreams that wake me up in worse condition then before I went to sleep.
What book(s) are you reading?

cvol
September 21st, 2004, 12:08 AM

VALERIAN ROOT, IT CAN BE BOUGHT AT ANY HEALTH FOOD STORE, TINCTURE IS THE BEST, SMELLS LIKE DIRTY SOCKS, BUT WORKS LIKE A CHARM.

*Scuba*Princess*
September 21st, 2004, 01:21 AM
"Traditional Medicines" Nighty-Night herbal tea works for me.
Its a beigy box with blue labeling. Probably available at most grocery or health food stores. Its called "Nighty night" ..... not to be confused with "Sleepy time by celestial seasonings" which I don't think helps.
Good luck & good night.

Walter
September 21st, 2004, 09:20 AM
are you the same Walter from Singledivers? You both have that wise and sage-like advice sound when you talk.

Thanks for the compliment. Yes, I'm an administrator at Single Divers. I enjoy this board as well. I've been here since 2000, shortly after SB started. Both are great places for different reasons.

cobaltbabe
September 21st, 2004, 11:14 AM
Sorry about the confusion folks. I am a single mother but I am engaged to Ontario Diver. He lives two hours away so technically I am still a single mother. And what do you mean it isn't a pick up line? ;)

The books I am reading are a series by Jim Butcher called the Dresden series. They are about wizards and vampires and magic. Very good series and most of the time they don't bother me.

RIDIVER501
September 21st, 2004, 11:24 AM
In college I did a Sleep study thing where I learned to set up a relaxed breathing pattern that helps me fall asleep in no time.
it is really simple.
count how long it takes you to breathe in....1 mississippi, 2 mississippi. etc
then exhale twice as long. so if it takes you 5 mississippi to inhale 10 mississippi to exhale.....about 10 to 15 cycles of that helps to relax you.

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1